Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Closer Save Ratio   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Carcharoth

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
It's a tricky situation, hard to evaluate how much of his decline is due to moving up to LL IV. For reference, here's my closer, who had a similar decline in production following the promotion.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Try checking on the things Carcharoth talked about against league averages. That might help you try to get a frame of reference. If you don't know how to do that open his stats in one tab, and in another open the league stats (second button at the bottom of the league page next to all-stars)for 2029, and in a third open the league stats from 2028 from the league you were in in 2028 (to do this go to said league, then go back a season, then click the same button). Alternatively, if you know the league IDs you could type the url which would probably be faster now that I think about it.
Jason2327

Abilene Patriots
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I looked at your closers numbers. He may have run in to what my closer Emilio Tejera may have run into. My league had much improved offenses this year

Updated Tuesday, November 29 2016 @ 8:48:59 pm PST

Updated Tuesday, November 29 2016 @ 8:50:00 pm PST
Endrju

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I think 80% is what you should expect out of good closer, so 77% is pretty close, but acceptable. Anything higher than 85% indicates a great season.

Looking just at % is not enough imho, check the ERA and other stats too to decide if the guy is a worthy closer or not.
Holmes

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Well, if it's any consolation, I switched closers mid-season, because my previous closer was at 10-7 (59%). The new closer went 24-14 (63%). Problem is, by skills, they are clearly my best pitchers.
Switching closers occasionally actually seems to make sense to me, anyway, considering how overpaid they are in this game. My old closer (5 years experience, 101-38 saves, 28-33 W/L, career ERA 4.64, 1 time all-star) is making 4.1m (which he's going to work for in the rotation now). In comparison, my ace starter (7 years experience, 101-92 W/L, career ERA 3.72, 4 time all-star, 1 time all-league) is making 3.8m.
Man, by those standards, Aroldis Chapman should be getting a 250 million dollar contract...
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
What would you say about my team that accumulated 29 saves and 37 blown saves for a 40.9% success rate? Is that not good? 😐
FreddyTheEye

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
wow..39 must be some kind of record!
Tough season.
brentswagger

Lakeville Bears
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Freddy, I am guessing you are just grabbing this off team totals which probably gives you lower results than your actual closer. If I look at my team totals I have 47 saves and 24 blown saves which is 66%. I am guessing that is fairly average. Still, your results are impressively poor.
Endrju

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
What would you say about my team that accumulated 29 saves and 37 blown saves for a 40.9% success rate? Is that not good? 😐

Out of curiosity I checked all leagues from Legends to IV, only two teams have S/(S+BS) ratio below 50% - you and Appleton in Legends. That's 1,1% of all teams in these leagues. Those two teams have one thing in common - they don't run a closer (at least now, when I look at their pitching). Coincidence?
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
One of the reasons why I had so many blown saves this year is because most of the time my starters left pretty early in the game. If your starter lasts until the eighth or ninth, there aren't nearly as many opportunities to blow the save. When a reliever enters in the sixth or seventh, there's a long way to go. Heck, I had a few games with two blown saves as well as the loss by another reliever due to coming in with the score tied. My pitching pretty much stank all year, partially due to trying to get youngsters some experience. The rest was just bad, bad pitching.

Previous Page | Show All |