Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Age 25 promotions - recommendations?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
BrianV

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
So, this off-season I've had to release three pitchers who saw precipitous skill drops. However, I now have two pitchers in my farm system who got the age 25 promotion recommendation:

1. Curtis DeLong - only 1.5 years of AAA experience so far. I feel like he needs another half or full season in the minors. I'd like to see him at 79-83SI or so before I promote so he can hit is cap.

2. Ken Ryan - Has a full season in AAA under his belt, but again, I feel like he needs another half or full season. I actually think he's slightly closer than DeLong.

I won my LL.VI league in 2028 and was promoted for 2029, but wasn't ready - My farm system wasn't quite rolling yet, and I won on the backs of aging free agents who declined for 2029.

So, I'm back to LL.VI for 2030. I expect by the end of this season to be in a much stronger position for a push into the higher leagues with regular production out of my farm system.

My hope is to try to win LL.VI again this year, as I expect to be a much better contender for next season.

So, is there any value in promoting the two pitchers above early? Or should I just find a few free agent pitchers to get me through my season in LL.VI?

I also have Carl LedBetter. He profiles as a DH / 1B candidate who also has his Age 25 promotion. He's 28SI under the cap for his potential, but he has *no* AAA experience. Again, my first thought is to leave him down in AAA for at least a season, but is 28SI 'doable' in the majors with AAA skipped?

LedBetter isn't needed yet as I have a bit of a log jam at 1B / DH / LF, so it's not hurting this season to leave him down.

amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
If you can get better pitchers off waivers/FA I'd certainly try that, although you may actually want to give DeLong and Ryan as many innings as they can get during the spring to see if that pushes them on. Another half season in AAA won't hurt anyway.

I have some useful comparisons for you though from my own roster - I won Bass in spring waivers two seasons ago, and he has similarities to Ryan. I used him in the pen and LR until a few starts late in the season that first year, and he made huge gains. He did the same last season and made the All-Star Game, though he hasn't gained a point of SI since - so now I'm wondering should I give him spring innings? Send him down to AAA for spring? Maybe he gains a few more regardless, but this is why I'm recommending you keep both guys down.

Johnson on the other hand missed all of spring in 2028 due to injury (35 games) and didn't get the call until he'd made 7 AAA starts, and has developed much more consistently. Whether that's due to circumstance, being one year younger, or some combination thereof I have much more confidence in him reaching his cap than Bass.

Ledbetter can stay down if there's no need for him, easy decision.

Updated Saturday, December 3 2016 @ 2:43:59 pm PST
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I'd leave LedBetter in AAA this year. Guys who skip over AAA almost always stunt.

Ryan and Delong aren't getting many innings, so its hard to see how they are doing...

Ryan's performance hasn't been great when he has played. 78 SI is probably doable for a pitcher. I don't think its too much of a risk to bring him up if you need him. Ryan doesn't have strong splits, so he might do ok once he develops.

DeLong is a bit more of a mystery because he has virtually no playing time in the last 4 seasons... 1.5 seasons in AAA is usually enough, but 71 SI is pretty low. Plus from the small sample size we have he has a strong split. He might actually be a very good LHS, but it might be worth leaving him down for another half a season to see if he can pump up his abilities a little.

All that depends somewhat on how they all develop over spring training. I wouldn't bring anyone up before spring training was over.
quanin

Cleveland Thunder
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I have a similar problem with Alicea. Was in AA last season, turned 25, got the rec for majors. On the one hand I want him to see some AAA action before I hit the button, but on the other 93 SI seems close enough for a 13 potential if he skips. He won't come up until after spring training if he comes up at all, but I'm wondering if he should.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm pretty sure Alicea will stunt if you bring him up now.

He has a lot of major league playing time (from prior management). So a chunk of that 93 SI is from Experience rather than Training. Alicea looks pretty far behind in his Training, he hasn't gotten enough games in the minors. Alicea also only has about 1.3 years in AA. He could probably use a bit more AA time. I would probably leave him in AA until at least after update 3 (after spring training). Then I would put him in AAA and leave him there until at least after Spring Training next season.
quanin

Cleveland Thunder
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah... he's a product of bot management, as are a few of them. I was hoping I could save this one.

Previous Page | Show All |