Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Busted   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm firmly convinced Ben Thacker is a bust. I was excited about him when I drafted him for obvious reasons. 15 pot, LH hitting catcher. I've been convinced he's a bust for awhile now. Close to 3 seasons on rookie ball, same for A ball and has yet to promote. He starts very slow but always ends up okay. Doesn't hit homers or steal.
I know he would get a ton of claims if I release him.
So why is he still on my roster?
Hope in spite of evidence. Lack of certainty in spite of 10+ seasons of experience and some reasonable success. Weaker than I'm used to drafts the last 3 seasons. I've been fortunate in the draft before that but lately pickings have been slim. No complaints, just admitting that my early drafts were blessed.
I let Mel Harada go. He was a 15 but he didn't fit my plans and I haven't regretted it. With Harada, I had the pieces I wanted instead of him.

Someone please talk me into letting Thacker go or explain to me who I should keep him besides apprehension.

Updated Friday, January 20 2017 @ 12:46:03 pm PST
JJNZ

Yakima Monster
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
To point out a couple of positives:

He's still just 21, less than ideal to be in A ball, but still has a chance of being in the majors by about 25/26

He's a great CS guy

He gained 7 SI last season, so might be one of those guys who gains in spurts

His speed is a bit wasted, but I'd definitely be putting a claim in if you let him go
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Nothing wrong with 21 in A ball. His growth looks pretty decent. 4 points at both 18 and 19 is good. Players often grow slowly in their teens. I'd claim him in a heart beat.
jdar25

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I would also claim him in a heartbeat but I think the main argument to keep him is risk over reward. He still has the potential so I rather hold onto him with a chance turning into something great than risk it trying to go in a different direction.
Mcdoogle

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I would claim him as well, he hits alot of doubles, depending on his BC he could be the perfect #2 lineup hitter.
FurySK

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I doubt he's a bust, but i do agree that there are some concerns with limited use. 100-105 SI is likely the window that he decides he is ready to join the majors. I think that the speed being wasted is simply not true, it's just an argument of where the speed is applies. He's clearly a guy that's best served going for extra bases when possible, and should be otherwise set to low steals.

I suppose the question is how willing are you going to be to gain 20 SI in the majors on a guy that will likely initially hit not so well? If you can't wait through age 25 and age 26 with 400+ AB's of potentially mediocre play, then maybe you give up. Personally I'd probably keep him around, especially given that he looks to be properly set up to give right handed pitchers fits.
5L1NK

Farmington Hills Cardinals
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I'd have faith in Thacker. one of my 14 POTs was like that and look at him now. He didn't make it past AA and i took a leap of faith and he's Hit his potential with ease, given me a ROY, gold glove and 2 all star appearances so far.
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks guys!
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
To be perfectly honest, I wouldn't even try thinking about whether a guy like that is a bust or not until he's at least 25.

Previous Page | Show All |