Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Current Form   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Less than 50 at bats? Small sample size. Where is that small sample size song link?
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I don't think you understand what I'm saying/asking. McKenzie's current form should be on the cold side while Bannon should be declared totally hot. That's not the case, though. It says they're both average right now, which doesn't make sense.
jclemen2

Mount Prospect Skeletons
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I think they're saying it's based on only their batting average in the last 50 at bats or so. Since he's under 300 he comes up average. If you look at the heat chart for your batters those that are over 300 in the latest chart are hot, and you have 1 who is over 400 who is very hot. Since both batters batting average is in that 250-300 range they both show as average. The other numbers aren't a factor in that cold/average/hot/very hot rating.

Updated Saturday, January 21 2017 @ 12:33:02 pm PST
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Yep. Like others have said. Its strictly a range. .250 is just enough to scape by as average.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I see. I always figured form would be based on the individual player's norm and not the same for every player. That makes the graphic even less meaningful than I thought, which was next to nothing. I guess I know to never bother clicking that stat button again.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Sorry, I was confused by the first half of the post which listed skills and asked which should be the better batter. The first half of the post is irrelevant to the stuff in the second half of the post.
jclemen2

Mount Prospect Skeletons
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
the phrase "current form" is a bit odd in my opinion. It doesn't really clearly say what it is rating. I took it he was looking at the player ratings and their recent total stats and couldn't figure out where average for both was coming from when both ratings and stats were very different. The exception, average, was the key. I didn't know that's all it went by until I looked at this post and figured it out. I thought it was a more comprehensive look at the 50 day stats prior to that.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Newtman, the first half of the post was relevant. As I explained, I thought form was related to the player, not a standard benchmark for all players. In real life, would we ever have said Babe Ruth was doing average when he was hitting .250 and that Mendoza was also doing average while hitting .280? No, we'd say Ruth was in a slump (cold) and Mendoza was on fire. That's assuming we were only looking at batting average, which we also probably wouldn't do.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I didn't used to pay too much attention to that page, but now that it has the BFs and ABs on it, I do look at.
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah the streak info is mostly useless. I only ever use the page to see how much playing time they got since the last update to see if I need to squeeze people in that week.

I agree that it should be relative to the player's usual performance... but I imagine that's a bit harder to code.

It's a lot simpler to have a few different levels that flag at specific ranges of batting averages as a standard.

This does mean that a career .220 hitter will always be "cold" when performing up to his usual standards which is weird... it may be tricky, but it would be ideal if instead of looking at hard-set ranges of average to determine hot/cold/normal, the game took like their career average and generate sets of ranges based on that with the actual base average being dead center in the "normal" range.

The downside of this is extra server processing since it needs to generate these values each time rather than simply have a list it's reading that never changes. This could mean a decreased performance in the site, particularly when loading any page that references this info (so not only Latest stats, but every player's page as well)

Previous Page | Show All |