Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> 2031 Waiver surprise   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
12twelve

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm a new owner that inherited an LL6 team on the decline and in dire need of help. Total rebuild, but I looked forward to the challenge. Since taking over 2 1/2 weeks ago, I have released 19 players, with more to come when I come out of restriction. My POT 11 first round draft pick is also on the short list for the next wave.

Needless to say, I had to make the waiver wire my new best friend. Prior to this morning, I had some reasonable success, winning 4 players with claims of 2,19,39,59. I had also signed 2 free agents. As I went to bed last night, I had 14 open spots on my roster and a whopping 31 claims to be awarded the next morning. My hope was to fill 2-4 of these open spots.

Imagine my surprise to find that I was awarded 8 waiver claims!! I was shocked!! Over 25% of my claims for the day came home! That has to be a record. Granted, 5 of those players had single-digit claims against them, but none where I had the only claim (9,8,4,3,2). In addition, I won a player with 21 claims, another with 29, and the crown jewel of the day...one with 111 claims!! JACKPOT!!

I still have plenty of holes to fill, and a minor league system to restock, but I am ecstatic about how this offseason has gone so far.

I realize that these results are far from ordinary, and based on the forums there are plenty of owners that have had little success with pickups, so please don't take my excitement as anything other than a newbie being blessed with some luck.

My outlook for the 2031 season has gone from one of just trying to develop a few players to an expectation to contend. I can't wait to see what the rest of this offseason has in store!
Deuce

New London Rippers
V.3

Broken Bat Baseball
You might just make a great turn-around in very short order. Congrats on a great start to the off-season
wil_m

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
That 100+ claims win is the one that stands out to me!

Congrats!!

I am a firm believer in the more claims you put in the more you win. Some people say that they never win. But I have won my fair share, not a 100 claims player as of yet, but my fair share.

EDIT: When you take over a previously neglected team, waivers can be a powerful way to help fill the roster.

Updated Wednesday, February 22 2017 @ 7:32:43 am PST
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Congrats!

I think Keller has ace potential. He and Post could be a formidable top of the rotation. Sexton's control makes him less desirable, but he might turn out to be a decent 3 or 4 in behind those other 2.

Having a solid starting core to build around is a great foundation. :)
12twelve

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks for the support guys! With regard to Sexton (and Dale Thomas), I went after a couple of young guys that had scouting reports of "his fastball can be unhittable. his control will always be lacking" or "his control will always be below average", with the thoughts of possibly converting to the back end of my bullpen if they can't cut it as a starter or SS/LR. Kind of a "Wild Thing" closer. It's great to have options.

It's amazing how quickly my optimism for the future has skyrocketed in a few short days!

One thing to ponder...obviously, the more claims you file, the higher the probability of one being chosen. That said, do you think that the reason why I won so many was because I had so many open roster spots at the time the waivers ran? Might there be something in the programming that tries to help fill out short rosters to be comparable with other teams and create a competitive balance relative to sheer numbers? I'd be curious to know the success rate of any other teams in full rebuild mode that released a lot of players and filed a lot of claims.

Or, maybe I am just incredibly fortunate to have my number called so many times. Either way, I'm very excited for the future of the Koi!!
Deuce

New London Rippers
V.3

Broken Bat Baseball
It was a lot of luck combined with the time of year. With so many players to put claims on you were bound to win a few...add so great luck and your off and running. There's no real reason, it's just your time!
Philliesworld

Pierre Jacobins
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I had Dale Thomas for a while had to cut him for roster space. I think he'll make a decent setup pitcher. Or maybe even a closer in the lower leagues.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I would recommend the opposite approach. The deeper you go into your bullpen the more critical it is to have consistent pitching. I'd keep the lower control guys as Starters or LR.
12twelve

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah, one advantage of being in LL6 is that we get to feast off the scraps from the Big Boys table! LOL

Previous Page | Show All |