Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Explain how this happened, please?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Game: http://brokenbat.org/game/2387115

Player: R. Grant

Issue: Was allowed to pitch 106 pitches in 2 1/3 innings, giving up 15 runs

Why this seems ridiculous: Under Management, set to a Pitch Count of 70, neutral Fatigue Limit, Hook of 3 runs

I'm completely bamboozled as to how the AI let that happen, with those management settings in place. Help!

Updated Wednesday, April 19 2017 @ 5:16:52 pm PDT
Deuce

New London Rippers
V.3

Broken Bat Baseball
More than likely you had no one to come in. You probably have only one or two pitchers set to come in as early as the 2nd inning and they probably were tired.
wil_m

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Yea, I agree with Deuce,

In similar situations I have had relief pitchers throw over 100 pitches. And they have lower hooks as well. One time I did have other tired relievers. I am still not sure why it happened another time, but my guess is that I made a mistake with my fatigue settings.

Updated Wednesday, April 19 2017 @ 6:20:13 pm PDT
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Ya. Due to the run difference, the manager wasn't allowed to use the setup men. His used the two middle relievers (Fitzpatrick, McBride) and then the long reliever (Grant). There wasn't anyone else he could sub in for Grant.

When Grant hit 105 pitches, that triggered "excessive pitch count" and allowed one of the setup guys to come in.
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
JhGi2Jj.png

There are my management settings.

Seca said:

Due to the run difference, the manager wasn't allowed to use the setup men.

Apparently I have plenty to learn about this game still. So ever since I started in August, I've just left the Smallest and Largest RD settings set according to pitching role. Help me understand why this is or is not a solid plan, please. Or is the issue not so much that I had the RD set to default but that I'm running a shallow, mediocre-to-crappy front-end of the 'pen? (11 of 13 slots filled)

Updated Thursday, April 20 2017 @ 4:45:08 am PDT
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Maybe because I have a mediocre-to-crappy front-end I should tweak how/when those late-inning guys are allowed to enter into the game?
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah, the settings are not much different than mine (except I don't allow intentional walks). I think the problem is your bullpen personnel are just bad.
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I have my hooks for my starters much higher and my pitch counts for my relievers much lower, and like some others I don't allow intentional walks. It does look like your bullpen is poor.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
The AI will ONLY consider Setups and Closers if (1) it is a close game, or (2) excessive pitch count. You went through all of your LRs and MRs. The last MR stayed in until excessive pitch count was reached. Nothing wrong with you setup (EDIT: actually your LR hooks are way to low). The manager (correctly) decided the game was a lost cause and decided to save the rest of his arms for the next day.

Everyone is going to run into one of these games on occasion (by design), but it its happening a lot to you, you could consider adding another LR. Or maybe slide one of your starters down to SS. You can usually get away with a 4 man rotation after interleague is done.

EDIT: Yeah I agree, I would set the hooks a bit higher (maybe 7) given your rotation is a lot stronger than your LRs/MRs. I'd also set the LR hooks at 7. LRs are mop up guys. You don't want to pull them the first inning they are out there, otherwise you will run into this situation a lot. Same with the MRs, I'd raise them up to at least 3, maybe as high as 5. If you blow through your LRs and MRs really fast, then there is no one left to pitch.

Updated Thursday, April 20 2017 @ 6:31:38 am PDT
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Well, this is the first nasty blowout this year, so it's not too common. Trying to work on that bullpen for next season... But I'll definitely take everyone's advice and make some tweaks. Thanks for the input, all! A learning experience, for sure.

Previous Page | Show All |