Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> How do you finish developing an infielder who has the Majors promotion, but not enough fielding to start yet?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
BrianV

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
My current starting third baseman Hyung Il Park is a stud. 4 consecutive Gold Gloves, 3 All Stars and 2 All Leagues at third base. However, he's 31 years, and while he's avoided decline so far, I expect it to come soon.

The heir apparent is Pat Hutton. Hutton is 24 years old, has a good projection for a 3rd baseman.

Hutton was recommended for promotion to the majors middle of last season, but I made him finish out the year in AAA. I want to see him develop 4-6 more points in fielding before I would consider him as a starter.

What's the best way to finish developing him? I have him in Spring Training, and I'll bring him up as a back up when Park gets injured periodically... but I don't that is enough playing time to finish him off.

I could also give him some playing time at 1B and DH against LHPs. Is this worthwhile?

How can I finish developing this third baseman when he doesn't currently have enough points in fielding to start in that position?
Ace

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I think you would have to give him some playing time in the field in order to increase his fielding rating. He already has the big 3B so any fielding time would do.

That's the tricky part about working in rookies when you have an aging star. As the season wears on, I would look to see if I was in a race for promotion or fighting relegation. If my team was in a safe spot then I would get him innings at 3B too.

Oh, I just noticed you're in league VI. If you have no chance at promoting, I would give him every day playing time.

Updated Wednesday, May 17 2017 @ 9:51:01 am PDT
BrianV

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Well, I think I'm in a good position to promote this year. I finished last season 2 games back with a +206 run differential.

Given that I'm not really in a rebuild, I'm a bit hesitant to give him playing time until the season is either safely in hand, or I've washed out.
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Actually, fielding will improve even at DH. There us just no position knowledge gained.
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Hutton will probably still gain SI in AAA, but he'd be best served getting regular AB in the majors. 1B/DH would be fine, but I'd stick him in LF a few times if there really was no room elsewhere - strong development is key.

Nice short thread title btw. ;)

Updated Wednesday, May 17 2017 @ 11:24:56 am PDT
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I don't see any position knowledge at 1B. I think its entirely possible he makes more errors there than at 3B.

DH if you can, but I wouldn't do contortions to avoid using him at 3B. Play him in the cup (if you prioritize league over cup). Try to find him another series somewhere during the week to spell Park. Should be enough playing time for him to advance at a good rate.
BrianV

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks all for the advice. I'll try to get him play time against weaker opponents, and in the catcher / DH spots. Hopefully I can get 300 or so ABs for him this year.

@amalric - I originally just had 'What would you do?' as the thread title, until I realized how useless it would be for others who might be in the same situation.
garfscores

Battle Creek Sting
IV.7

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah, he has to be in the majors and he has to play. I think getting him 300 or so at bats as a backup at third and starting against lefties at catcher will do. Although, I have a hard time putting anyone with no c at catcher.
Razzle

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
@Tiger

Interesting point...

At DH "Fielding" will improve but no position knowledge will be gained.
BrianV

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
To follow up, Hutton now has ~200 ABs in 85 games this season so far with a .251/.301/.308 slash line and a .938 FP at 3B - not exactly high calibre play.

We are 7 games back from the front-running Grand Forks Frogs and third in the division, but we have been winning at a .638 clip over the last 65 games. We have three more series against the front-running Frogs this season - they are certainly catchable.

Hutton has a lot of potential, but has only gained one point in fielding this season. At this point, given that I'm still in the hunt, I'm going to put Hutton on the backburner in favor of Park, but I'll still bring him out for series against the weaker teams in our division.

It's too bad - I was hoping he would develop into a starting 3B next season... so far it doesn't look like he'll be ready.

Previous Page | Show All |