Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Trade Value Players, release and waiver claim counts   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
FurySK

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I'd have to agree. I'd rather find ways to allocate the waivers better to even it out, but i'd rather not reward teams that have so much talent that they get value on their high value cuts. Those who purge a d.vi team or d.v team aren't getting much of anything out of this.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
And in truth you do already get rewarded for dropping players. Your team becomes less sucky when you drop guys from the bottom of your barrel. Or less expensive when you drop pricy veterans.
RDailey1948

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks for your comments pro and con.

Back to the first post, it just seems there is a dimension of current professional baseball operation that is missing in this fine simulation.

This is just an idea using items that are currently being documented in the dbase.

See you at the ballpark.
mcrmoe

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I envision this scheme will turn into "the rich get richer", Consider Shelton. In the upper half of the league he was every hitter's favorite pitcher. So naturally when faced with the dilemma of playing him in legends I decided to rip off the bandaid and release him.

Turns out Shelton drew 166 waivers claims, ended up in league 6 and was a beast (all star and all league). At only 27 years old, he could easily be on the team for another 4 seasons. So with this proposal, I should get the lions share of the bank, considering Shelton got a whopping number of claims and will be a fixture.

I've got a few others similar to Shelton.
Given that pitchers are coveted, I could easily see these getting at least 75 claims each, once developed of course.

Also I am not the only person with this stockpile, a strong farm is the staple of most top tier teams.
RDailey1948

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Wow!

I would have been in on him at $0.50MM with those other folks. If he was mine, he'd be back out there at $3.80MM!

I incorrectly assumed players coming out of your level were higher priced.

Thanks @mcrmoe

Updated Saturday, May 20 2017 @ 3:21:21 pm PDT

Updated Saturday, May 20 2017 @ 3:31:27 pm PDT
mcrmoe

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Well he didn't get much time in the upper leagues. This is how I understand salary...

It is based on the past 3 seasons, a combination of playing time and to some degree success (individual awards). That is why he remained at the minimum of $0.50M. Next when players are released, they do go up in premium while on waivers. I suspect this is a % bump of actual salary for anything above $0.50M.

Ok the next part is interesting, what happens after a season on a new team. Again, I suspect there is an initial bump in salary % from the norm discussed above. In Shelton's case a bump to $3.80M sounds about right given the all star, all league, non farm player discount gone and high price associated with closers.

I actually like it when people make suggestions. For many people BB is great as is, but there is always room for new aspects. So long as the suggestions lead to fruitful discussions, the finer details are explored and provide for a case study.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
While I see your point on the dimension from MLB that is missing, I don't see any reason to keep real life things that won't translate well into the game, and I think this is one of those things. As pointed out above this would be a rich getting richer thing, that was instituted in MLB due to the politics between the owners. We don't really need to simulate stuff like collective bargaining agreements as that stuff is better left to actual MLB sims like OOTB.
dsz071

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball

In Shelton's case a bump to $3.80M sounds about right given the all star, all league, non farm player discount gone and high price associated with closers.

Didn't know there was a "hometown discount." Learn something new every day.
FurySK

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I dont mind the idea, it's not a bad concept in theory especially if a game seems unbalanced for the top to stay at the top. In this game, i think a owner can get to legends, then fall to D.III, then get back up there again in a few seasons. So it's not impossible for them to restock and reload and go again.

I'd like to see more ideas of a system that isn't directly trading of assets that helps balance the unbalanced waiver claim system and/or draft systems. Something like a farm director that we pay a little or a lot and scales from reducing the randomization of the pool. Cuts like the worst 20% of the pool at full funding, cuts 2-3% at no funding. Or weighted waivers based on the amount of seasons since someone has won a 50+ claim target (so you win one in 2032 and the earliest you get a priority claim is 2034 and it only gives you 2 extra slots in the draw, and is burned win or loss). Or making financials more stingy and building a bidding system on the TL where teams can drop players and people can bid on them. Something that gives skilled managers more chances without eliminating the ability for a part time manager to play.
dsz071

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
When I started BB I was relieved to find out that the waiver system works the way it does, especially after playing Hattrick and Hockey Arena (talk about the rich get richer). I don't see how straight up trades could work, way too hard to police to the point that the trades would be fair. I don't care for the way the two previously mentioned games have their transfer markets set up. I don't have the time nor the energy to sit at a computer at the transfer deadline for a certain player and try to snipe the winning bid only to have someone else snipe me back, rinse and repeat for hours on end.

Instead of that, how about a transfer market that builds off the waiver system we have now. Say a player gets released, goes on the market for 72 hours with everyone eligible to place only one bid on him. The bid stays closed until the winner is decided. The selling team gets the cash from the winning bidder, everyone is happy. It's not just random luck. If you want to be like the Yankees or Red Sox and overpay players, go for it.

Again, I'm not in t he group of those that are against random luck. I do know that not all teams start with the same amount of money, not exactly sure how to deal with that problem but I would prefer it this way IF BB goes to a transfer market.

Just my $.02.

Previous Page | Show All |