Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Free Agent Skill Improvement?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Noodle

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Eric Thames immediately comes to mind.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Guys going off to play in other leagues is a little different than guys not playing at all. In some sense you could consider all of the different leagues in the game like other world leagues. Or Steve's test leagues. Some players go off to those teams, and then return to the main leagues through FA.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Eric Thames - wasn't he just playing in Japan. He wasn't out of baseball.

Steve
FurySK

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Would be cool to pull a few names out of FA randomly, throw them into the international pool (americans or otherwise) and have them come back like Thames as some newly formed player with what he learned?

Meh, probably too much work for not much payout.
nobodyjones

Seattle Rickey
IV.1

Broken Bat Baseball
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/h/hamiljo03.shtml

Updated Wednesday, May 31 2017 @ 12:32:58 am PDT
Squiddcatt

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thames played in Korea. He plays for my home town team.
metalbat13

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
So, to go back to my original unanswered question: has anyone ever picked up a BB free agent who has sat out a season or two and yet shows skill levels higher than the ones he had before becoming a free agent?

I have always assumed in Broken Bat that players do not gain any skill points unless they actually play on a minor league or major league team. Steve, is this correct?
Philliesworld

Pierre Jacobins
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Yes, I'm almost 100% sure that players dont gain any SI as free agents.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
The only time they gain as free agents is when they played games that week for the major league team, I think I saw that once. Minor league training doesn't count though if not with a ball club during the update. I am 100% sure on that considering the number of cases I have looked at over the years.
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
The only other real-world (read: not BB) equivalent I can think of is a pitcher suffering a major injury, getting cut, not having a team for a while, then getting picked up again later by another team willing to take a post-injury gamble on the player. But the source of improvement, if any, is the questionable claim that some TJS recipients come back "better" than before.

Otherwise yes, the most common seems to be a player taking a few years off, playing in an international or independent league, then returning to MLB.

Oh, not a fan of basketball, but I also now remember Pat Connaughton, drafted by the Orioles, who then went on to play basketball after only pitching a few innings in Single-A. Could come back to baseball, but I seriously doubt it would be with any additional talent for the game (lost development time).

EDIT: Would be fun in the future to have an element added to BB where some players in the FA pool go off and play overseas or in an independent league. Would have to make decisions on how the AI chooses which players go. And I suppose if the AI were to use a merit-based system, us managers would probably pay closer attention to FAs who have spent time in those foreign/independent leagues, thinking the AI is hinting that those players have more potential to pan out as something useful. *shrug*

Updated Thursday, June 1 2017 @ 10:21:21 am PDT

Previous Page | Show All |