Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Who would you pick?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Pig_Cola

Glendale Marshals
III.2

Broken Bat Baseball
I would've went with the pitcher in that situation. You can find decent SS or 3B's in FA that can play and field.
Yuri84

Apple Valley Raccoons
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Pitcher for me as well. I already have a bunch of defense-first guys, and even if I didn't, that other guy doesn't look too convincing to me. He could easily have 13-15 hitting and 5-8 in all other batting skills for what I know.
Geech

San Luis Obispo Turtles
IV.8

Broken Bat Baseball
I think I would have taken the hitter. Great hitting is probably 18 to 20 range, and that plus a good middle infield glove is not easy to find at a reasonable price.

I do agree that it's a tough choice, however.
12twelve

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
If I was in need of pitching, I'd probably take the P. But all things being equal, I tend to lean towards offense over defense for position players so a great hitter with speed would've probably been my choice and hope I could also get defense and not be stuck with a 1B build.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I would have traded up so I could take both guys :)

But seriously, that is a very nice problem to have. I'd love to have just one guy like that on my board. Instead of having to pick between 10 "Above Average" guys on my first round LOL.
Favuz

Oxnard Sunsets
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Better have difficulties in choosing between 2 very good than nothing, that for sure :D.

At the end, i took the P because his description was just too good to pass, while i didn't want to gamble on hitter fielding skills. if P had 1 tick less (no stamina o less breaking ball) and hitter 1 tick more (like above average or decent slugging) i've taken the hitter.

He turned out to be my first 15 pot pitcher ever, while hitter went in 2nd round. He turned out to be a good 2nd basemen with steals. If he had swapped range and arm i could have a little regrets, but i have been lucky after all :D

Better for me, now that i have my future ace, and better for him, now that he plays in Hawaii sun :D
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
POT 15 for a pitcher is very higher. Has the makings of a perennial all star.
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I'll give you a few from my own experience, in the interest of discussion, seeing as I have time to fill without any cup games tonight! Guess it shows some of my drafting good fortune.

Judge from the descriptions before you open the player links and/or read my summaries. All very good potentials.

Round 1 2028, College pool

1. L/L P, 20, strike out pitcher, exceptional breaking ball. Baird.
2. L/L OF, 21, good hitter, decent slugger, decent speed, outstanding fielder. Chase.

This was my first dilemma, and I posted the question on who to pick in the draft thread back then - everyone recommended the pitcher, which was excellent advice. As the old saying goes, you can never have enough pitching, and I tend to follow that adage (see below). Chase lasted until round 3.

Round 1 2029, College pool

1. L/L OF, 22, prolific slugger, decent speed. Sheehan.
2. L/L OF, 22, prolific slugger, decent speed. Case.
3. R/R OF, 21, very good hitter, decent slugger, decent speed. Di Carlo.
4. R/R 3B, 22, good hitter, above average slugger, decent speed, solid fielder. Caldwell.

I was tempted by #4 but ultimately chose #3 for the best all-round hitting tools, and that has turned out very well. What was surprising was that the other three went in rounds 2, 2 and 5!

Round 1 2032, High School pool

1. R/R P, 17, major league fastball, exceptional breaking ball. Rock.
2. R/R 3B, 17, prolific slugger, outstanding fielder. Malcolm.
3. S/R SS, 17, prolific slugger, decent speed. Chu (the guy I was looking for today in the draft).
4. L/L OF, 18, great hitter, really quick. Cardenas.

Four very good players to choose from as it turned out, hard to go wrong. Again I went pitcher, and again I think I landed the pick of the bunch.

Thanks for your time, hope it wasn't too dull!
wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
@amalric7

That was VERY fun and informative to read. Thanks for assembling that. I can appreciate the effort in keep track of all those guys over the seasons as well. As a new team owner, and new to the game entirely, it's hard to imagine how all these drafted players may turn out. And frankly, it wasn't until my 2nd or 3rd pick this year that I started to get a hang of what the descriptions and potentials even meant. In hindsight, I wish I knew what I know now at the beginning of the draft. But I think posts like these are invaluable to new owners.

Cheers
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
@wickersty - Thanks. I made my first pick back in 2026 right after joining, and without reading any of the rules, so I looked at my minors and decided I needed a 2B prospect. Landed an 11 POT player who was cut shortly after. I know there were at least two very good potential players on my board, but I didn't track players until Seca pointed out that it was possible, so I have no idea who I passed on then. At least I've had success since then, for the most part!

Previous Page | Show All |