Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Is this prospect I've held onto for 6.5 years a bust?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Figured minor league games were just for show/fun. Whatever maintenance occurs comes from your setting.

Used to be that players only played where you had them set. Also used to be that players would be constantly losing their capital letters on positions. Now I seldom see either of those things happen, and I just set guys to the position I want them at. So either it does make a difference, or Steve just happened to fix both issues at the same time. Pretty sure they only maintain because they are getting experience in all their positions. But that could either be because they are playing there, or because Steve introduced automatic maintenance experience in the minors.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
RE: Bresciani, it doesn't look like his hitting has maxed out yet. I would not be surprised to see it pop one more before he turns 31. Not sure if he gains more training in AAA or the Majors as a 28 year old, but it looks like he might have been promoted a little prematurely. One thing I have noticed with my guys who are a little stunted is that they seem to perform above their abilities while they are still improving, but then their performance drastically decreases when they reach their Experience ceiling. Might just be RNG + small samples, but its possible developing players get a bit of a boost in the majors until their experience caps. I suspect Bresciani is missing a little training (just over 1 year in AAA). Not sure if its enough to make up the difference though.

Updated Friday, July 7 2017 @ 3:33:00 pm PDT
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks for the feedback. :)

Ya, the BB:K thing is mostly about him filling out his SI. I think. :)

Its a good question about the league. There are some very good LHP. That said, of my key RHB Zarate and Enriquez are hitting LHP better this season compared to last. Butler is down, but still hitting .274. Farrell is switch, and hitting LHP much better than RHP. I don't think its the competiton.

I definitely buy into your bad season idea. Whether its a form variable that ticks at the bottom of the spectrum or rng replicating that, bad (and good) seasons certainly happen.

But this is worse than I would have expected as a bad season for his stats. He's probably really overscouted. Power numbers corroborate. His true talent is probably splitting the difference - .230, 12 HR.

Disappointing. Will look to replace him next season.
amalric7

New York Lancers
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
I'd hold on to Bresciani for now. I've had more guys than I care to count have 'bad season syndrome' (or bad half season). I can give a bunch of examples.

Fletcher was a 19 Hit/17 BC guy and ideal RF (15 Range, 17 Arm). Steady as a rock through his first four seasons, two-time All-Star. Then in 2030 he hit .170 through roughly 50 games, so I put him on the bench. Called back up later in the season he .350 and played a role in our promotion campaign. But when he did nothing again last season he was cut to make way for the youth movement/rebuild.

Lawson is an extreme example (he's lost a point of POW but otherwise hitting is still the same, all his other SI lost is in speed/fielding stats). An All-Star in 2027 when he hit nearly .340 in the first half to lead the league. After the ASG he hit around .170, sucked big time. But he turned it around again and had a terrific 2028 season, All-Star and All-League. But then hit just .227 in 2029, before rebounding to .280 in 2030. Another slow start in 2031 was the end for him as a Lancer.

To give an example from this season, my star player Ortiz. First time he's had a prolonged slump, hitting .271 through the ASG. Absolutely no reason for it. Turned it around since then, now hitting his usual .329 and all numbers in line.

Bresciani's numbers excepting AVG all look in line with previous norms, so I'd expect him to have turned it around with more opportunity, because that is my experience. Then again, a flyball hitter who has so many GIDP must be doing something wrong. :)
BrianV

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
It's now a season and a half later, and Saavedra now has 95SI at the close of his age 26 season. He gained 4 SI in AAA this season.

As I said earlier in the thread prior to this season, I made Moreland was my starting SS while Saavedra got more development time. I now need to decide what to do for next season.

Moreland did well this season, hit .295/.321/.404 despite terrible offensive ratings. He also managed a .960 FP as shortstop - only 15 errors in 128 games.

Saavedra on the other hand hit .270/.307/.386 in AAA this year, despite being a better offensive player on paper. He also made 8 errors in 42 games at SS.

Defensively, Moreland is the better player with 11 fld /17 rng /16 arm. Saavedra is currently at 8 fld / 16 rng / 14 arm. Moreland projects to be outstanding the field while Saavedra will be merely 'solid'.

Offensively, Saavedra *should* be a better batter, although he stunk in AAA this year. If he can gain 10 points in the majors, he has a chance to be a decent batter (for a SS in LLVI).

Moreland will be a 'very good' hitter, but his plate discipline and power have flatlined at 4. I expect his batting stats to regress next season.

The bottom line - which of these two candidates would be the better SS? The goal is to bridge until Archuleta is ready, if that ever happens, or Blanton if Archuleta flames out like Saavedra seems to be doing.

Option C - I can try to snag a gap filler SS off waivers / free agency, but that's a long shot. I don't want to depend on it.

AssumedPseudonym

Deerfield Beach Rats
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
 Of those two, I definitely like Moreland better. Better range, better arm, and better fielding projection make him more appealing as a shortstop, and having a positive hitting comment makes him more likely to make contact more frequently (if he actually grows into the scouting report, anyway). I’m possibly biased, though; I’ll take a consistent singles guy over an unpredictable slugger any day.
Cactusguy21

Presque Isle Vikings
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I agree with Assumed, I'll take a contact hitter over a slugger any day. Especially since my 6 power platoon 2B seems to hit just fine for power.
wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I had about 5 players that I picked up off waivers who were 25/26 and underdeveloped. I played them in AAA all season long, hoping for their development to pick up again, in spite of the demotion back to the minors. I was pretty disappointed with most of them interns of their AAA development through the season.

Mason gained 7 SI. I'm letting him play the last week+ of the season in the majors. I think he's the most likely to earn a spot on the major league roster in 2034, which would make him a waiver wire success story I think.

Veras gained 6 SI and is still learning the OF. I love his range and arm, but hate his fielding. I'm hoping that Hitting and Bat Control keep going up. He probably needs to spend 2034 in AAA but I'm not sure I'm willing to use the roster spot on him there next season.

Suarez is a total disaster who has gained only 4 SI and It's very likely I'll be releasing him in the offseason.

Mesa gained only 4 SI as well, and he really needs another full year in AAA.

Fink also gained only 4 SI. And I think he's also destined for the waiver wire in the offseason, but for some reason I find myself wanting to give him more time.

Updated Monday, September 25 2017 @ 3:20:38 pm PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
My players typically only gain 4-5 SI per season in the minors. So it looks to me like all those guys did pretty reasonable. 4 SI is on the low side, but I would be very happy with the other two, and for all we know those guys with 4 SI are now on the cusp of popping another 4 SI.
amalric7

New York Lancers
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
@BrianV - I don't hold out much hope for Saavedra. He's never gained more than 4 SI in one season (in his long minors career) so it would take an exceptional leap next season in the majors to see him become a worthwhile play at SS (look at Barry's numbers as a comparison, prior to this season's power surge). Archuleta looks like Saavedra 2.0, shame about his slow progress.

Moreland might well slump next season but he's still the better play for me, and Blanton (admittedly without the bat to match) looks like Moreland 2.0! I'd still look for a better option, and if you're fortunate enough to land one you can then move on from at least two of these guys.

Previous Page | Show All |