Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Have I stunted this pitcher?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
BrianV

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Curtis DeLong was a pitcher I picked up in the 2027 season, a bit behind in development but 'savable'. I kept him in AAA through most of his age 25 season to ensure he had two full seasons in AAA.

Now, at Age 27, he has 96SI, but has not gained a single SI this season yet which is concerning despite 72 IP in 25 games. At this point, he's just not viable to be a long term piece, but I think he could get there with another 10SI or so despite his velocity issues.

This season is a burning tire fire / writeoff. Is there anything I can do to save DeLong? In hindsight, I wonder if I should have kept him in AAA for another season, but I needed an arm critically at that point.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Unfortunately for you, he's a tough one to deal with. He might have a few SI left in him for major league experience. With a gain of 25 so far, it's possible there's a little left despite not having popped any this season. It's also possible he has a handful left behind in the minors. You can always try to put him back down in AAA Thursday night and hope for those boosts. I would consider doing that any week he hasn't pitched 12 innings or so.

The encouraging thing is his ground balls have increased and his homer rate has improved this season. As you intimated, if he manages to gain another 5 SI in pitches, he might be able to be an emergency pitcher/reliever. Unless his VLHB drops considerably, though, like it was in his brief time in the minors, I don't see him contributing much other than just being a possible junk innings eater.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Doubt it. Looks like he developed fine. I've found most of my pitchers shoot up the first 1.5 years in the majors, and then slow to a crawl after that. He will probably still develop at a very slow rate. At POT 13 his max could be 104, or if he is anything like my squad, his true max may be lower than POT 13. Many of my pitchers never reach their POT.
Jason2327

Abilene Patriots
III.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Personally I would put him back in the starting rotation. Pitchers gain the most si I have seen as SP

Previous Page | Show All |