Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Can players like this exist in Broken Bat?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
shikago

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Jamie Moyer famously had 2/3 of his career wins after turning 35. Bartolo Colon had a really solid 2016 at the age of 43. Ted Williams hit .388 at the age of 38. Paul Molitor led the league in hits (225) at age 39....

My question is, can players like this exist in Broken Bat? (do they?) Or is everyone here all but washed up by then?

Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Some player perform well late into their careers.
buffmckagan

Scranton Bears
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Not quite the same, but my starter Casey Peck is back for one more year and he is playing as well, if not better, than as when he joined the team. He's been a real help for me this year
Herp Derp

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
https://brokenbat.org/player/90211

He's not exactly facing the toughest pitchers around, but this guy seems to be having a late-career surge. Good bat. Draws walks. That rag arm makes him a bad pivot man at second but he seems fine in the field otherwise.
He's down 24SI from his peak but hasn't lost a point so far this season.

Also... dude had 75 doubles last season.
brentswagger

Lakeville Bears
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
I like rostering guys like Pfeffer. Some numbers are standing out as signs of age catching up with him. He isn't much of a stolen base threat anymore and his slugging numbers may be coming down but the hitting for average seems to be the last thing to go. I have had good success this season with a couple of old guys with long track records of all star success.
https://brokenbat.org/player/91932
https://brokenbat.org/player/85175
Mig2015

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Well, Id answer yes and no. Yes in regards to performance at an age proportional to real life. In real life some guys can perform very well up till 37-38 years old. Of course, there are outliers like Colon and Moyer (I grew up watching Moyer pitch for the Phillies. I loved that guy!), but the majority of players can play very easily until at least ~35 years old. Broken bat players at age ~32-33 are like players at 35 years old in real life, and BB 35 year olds are like 37-39 year olds in reality. BB players can perform well into their mid 30s, but 35-36 is like 40+ in real life. Players drop like stones. You have your odd guys that can still play a little into age 36 and even 37 seasons, but that's at best.

Honestly, that's one of the things that kinda sorta bothers me about the game because there should be more diversity of when players drop off. You should have those guys that tail off badly at 29-30, and those ageless wonders who drop off at 37-38, but can still be effective until ~40. Yes, I know we kind of already have that, but I just wish there would be a wider age range.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Some guys last longer. Also, if a team demotes, the guy may actually play better at an older age.

Previous Page | Show All |