Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Let's talk runner settings   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I think that maybe, over the course of several seasons, I have undervalued base running skills (Not necessarily base stealing skills).
While I watch other teams go from 1st to 3rd on a single etc, my team plays station to station. But if I get aggressive on settings I get inning killing runners gunned down at the plate.
I also have a couple of boat anchors. How badly can a boat anchor clog things up? My experience says...significantly.
Not sure what I want to do.
Anyone have some philosophies they're proud of?
dsz071

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
The past couple seasons I just really started messing with my base running settings to the point where, if I have time and if I remember, I'll check the arm of the opposing catcher and adjust my base stealing accordingly. As far as base running, I think I have a pretty aggressive approach. I have anyone over a 14 Speed rating set to ++. Sure, I get guys thrown out at the plate from time to time but I feel like the aggressive approach has helped my team succeed the last couple seasons. If you look at my roster, I have one player that I would consider a superstar. Then I have a couple pretty good guys and the rest are just ok. In my league my offensive numbers are very middle of the road.

BA - 2
Hits - 2
OBP - 7
Runs scored - 6
RISP - 5
SB - 2

I feel that if I didn't have the aggressive approach to base running/stealing I wouldn't be in the position I'm in. I just don't have the offensive horses to keep up with other teams. My team wins with pitching and defense (the giant ballpark helps me out there) but I think that running helps my team out quite a bit.
Frankebasta

Kodiak Mules
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
We've been told Fielding Range is an aggregate factor of all fielders' range.

I fear the same might be the case for base running.
It may involve the average speed of team players, not the actual base runner.
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Franke, I fear you may be right
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Really?

Haven't seen it. 19 speed McCarty has 13 triples this season. 5 speed Enriquez has 12 triples in his 10 season career.
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I hadn't considered extra base hits like triples as being a part of this equation but that's a pretty good point.

I have considered this though....
Let's say McCarty is on 2nd and Enriquez is on first. Johnny Risp hits a single and McCarty goes for home and Enriquez heads for third. Instead of McCarty being a 19 going home the calculation actually might be for the chance of both runners making it. 19+5=24รท2= 12 speed.

I've considered it but I don't really buy into it. Because double steals.

More likely it's just a matter of the Enriquez and Johnny Wockenfuss types clogging up the base paths.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
The clogging thing is a good question.

I've had Enriquez for a while. Early on I was worried his speed was damping extra base hits behind him. It is intuitive to think if he is slow, he is turning doubles behind him into singles, etc..

I watched pretty closely for a few seasons. I didn't see anything to support this. The guys behind Enriquez didn't seem to be suffering (they may have been, but I couldn't see it).

My sense is that the hit is determined by the batter/defence/ballpark before looking at any runners on base.

Again my opinion, but I feel slow baserunners don't clog so much - more that they don't flow well (subtle difference?). Enriquez doesn't stop the guy behind him from hitting a double, but he rarely gets further than 3rd. Once on 3rd, he has a hard time tagging/advancing. The only situation where he prevents a runner from advancing is Enriquez on 3rd, another runner on 2nd, and Enriquez holding on an infield grounder.

Enriquez didn't last long with a " " setting. Got thrown out a lot, noticeably more than his peers. Set him to "--" and he still got thrown out a lot (to the extent I think I made a post in Bugs to complain about it :) ). I've had him and Schneider on "X" the past few seasons. (But I think I am relatively conservative with my settings).

I think its fair to question if fielding or arm function as aggregates, given how range works. But baserunning seems a stretch.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
This might be a better way to explain it.

I think baserunning functions much like stealing bases. Almost like a separate play to resolve after the hit.

Runner on 1st. Batter hits a double. This puts the baserunner on 3rd. This has all happened without the baserunner being in the equation.

Now the baserunner decides if he is going to advance. Runner speed + runner setting + arm/defence go into the decision.

Previous Page | Show All |