Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> One of my draft picks won the Cy Young!   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
BrianV

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I know there are hundreds of Cy Young awards in the game, but I'm developing attachment to some of my fictional bundles of bytes.

I drafted Levi Orlando in out of college with my #2 pick in 2028. With his 'He may be limited to only a few innings' report, I expected I was going to have an decent bullpen piece. Turns out, he became a monster with 18 control, allowing him to make efficient use of his lower pitch count (only 10 stamina) to average 6.4 innings per start.

Although he was never ranked high on the prospect rankings page, he shot through the minors. He dominated AA for a season and a bit, and had a fairly strong couple seasons in AAA.

Near the end of 2030, only a little more than 2 seasons since being drafted, he made his debut with the big team at 80SI, splitting time between the bullpen and starting late in the season once we were out of contention. He made a respectable 4.48 ERA / 4.14 FIP over 66 innings in his rookie season while earning 16 more SI on the year.

Orlando began to show his true character in 2031 (96SI), going 14-11 over 181 innings in 30 starts, with 18 quality starts. His start to the season was a bit rough, but by the end of the season he was demonstrating that he was a legitimate ace in our rotation while gaining a further 14SI. His season worked out to a 4.03ERA / 4.13FIP, although his late season performance was significantly better. 181 total innings pitched.

This past season (2032) has been Orlando's year (110SI). In 38 starts, Orlando went 21-7 over 243 and 1/3 innings, with 26 quality starts. He held RHB to a .227 batting average while throwing 70% strikes. He struck out 177 while only giving 47 free passes. He ended the season with a 3.55ERA / 4.47FIP. We spent much of the season in a 4-man rotation to maximize use of Orlando, which paid off nicely.

My favorite part is that he's only 26, which means I have an ace in my rotation for the next 5-6 seasons, and will probably be a rotation piece for another 6-7.

There's a lot of ways I've felt screwed in this game over time with players not panning out... but I wanted to share this guy that has done more than I expected him to when I drafted him.

I'd love his kind of performance from a closer. But I get him for 6 or 7 innings at a time!

Updated Friday, July 21 2017 @ 11:25:11 am PDT

Previous Page | Show All |