Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Total P # on roster   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
allen54chevy

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
In the MLB today the Royals carried 14 pitchers on their 25man roster.
Boy that would be nice to be able to do.

Updated Tuesday, July 25 2017 @ 9:32:03 pm PDT
garfscores

Battle Creek Sting
IV.7

Broken Bat Baseball
How would you get 14 guys innings over the course of a full season? As it is, I have guys with only 20 IP using 13 pitchers.
Herp Derp

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
It would be pretty easy to use those pitchers at lower levels. Could make some hooks a little lower. Six man rotation and a full bullpen. Surely someone would find a good use for the extra pitcher.

It's not like a nine man bullpen is any crazier than an eight man bench.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I believe the roster parameters were built around the idea that most folks wouldn't be able to log in between games. The 8 man bench gives enough flexibility to cover injuries.

The extra pitcher really isn't necessary in large part because pitcher fatigue is pretty forgiving here. If you set pitch counts appropriately, you can run all 8 bullpen guys out game after game. IIRC Booth pitched in 48 of the first 50 Dino games last season. The only time your guys may need a rest is after the double header during interdivision.

Along the same lines, if you really want a 9 man pen, 4 man rotations are extremely viable.
wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I always assumed a 4-man rotation over the long haul of a season would result in grossly overused pitchers and injuries. Is there no evidence of that in BB?
Herp Derp

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Fair enough... but pitchers get injured too, right?

Just personally, I don't have much use for that deep of a bench. Not yet anyway. So far, the mistrust of AI managers that MLB: The Show instilled in me seems justified considering some of the pinch hitting and fielding replacement decisions I've seen from other teams I've played. So, I set what I consider to be my best lineup and don't allow the manager to pinch hit or sub for anyone (although I've been considering it for some guys but only in the 9th... maybe 8th). If my guys lose, they lose... but it won't be because one of them was lifted for an inferior player at the wrong time.

But I always could use an extra reliever or two.
Maybe I have a guy on a cold streak. He could be unassigned without me having to be an arm short. As it stands, I'd have to either cut him or demote him to AAA and have to worry about him taking innings from a developing pitcher (not that I have any of those in AAA right now... maybe someday though).

I don't have a problem with things as they are but I didn't think OPs suggestion was bad either. Maybe even open up the roster entirely... You have 30 spots... assign them to whoever you want.
Can't play because of too many injured position players? Autosub a pitcher to fill the role (maybe there's an Ankiel out there) or forfeit.
Could give some value to those high fielding skill pitchers that no o e realky likes.
Or call up a minor leaguer to fill the void. That roster mistake would cost 300k and maybe hurt the minor leaguer's development a bit. Good incentive to come up with a workable roster and a fair penalty for those who don't.

Updated Wednesday, July 26 2017 @ 9:13:40 am PDT
Herp Derp

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Wickersty, I think I read that just getting a lot of at bats can increase a position player's salary. If that's the case, Id think the extra innings pitched by starters in a four man rotation would have the same effect.
Could be wrong though.
jaycarter

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
"I always assumed a 4-man rotation over the long haul of a season would result in grossly overused pitchers and injuries. Is there no evidence of that in BB?"

no not necessarily i have used a 4 man rotation since i have been playing and my starters barely got injured

boyd, rucker, green are some of my starters i have had over the years that were sturdy

Previous Page | Show All |