Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Decision time for Archuleta - 24 and still in A ball   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
BrianV

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Agustin Archuleta is a potentially tremendous middle infield prospect I drafted back in 2028. Since entering my system, his rate of growth has been slower than hoped. Since entering A-ball, he's been making 4-5 SI per year.

He's now 24, still in A, with 82SI, 37 short of his cap. I'd like to try to have him ready for the majors by his age 26 season, so I'm debating my best course of action.

Should I promote him to AA this season and AAA next season? How would you handle this player?

Is the AI's promotion recommendations wrong? He still seems to be gaining steadily.

Updated Thursday, July 27 2017 @ 7:03:59 am PDT
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I imagine he'll get the promotion notice to AA any time now. I'd leave him in A for the start of spring training and be sure he gets a prime spot in the spring training lineup. If he doesn't get the nod to AA with the August 4 training update, I'd move him to AA anyway and leave him there unless he also gets the nod to AAA. But man, you'd like to see a couple seasons of AAA... Oof. Maybe he'll move quickly this year and you can get 1.5 seasons of AAA in. Tough call.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I would place him at his recommended level this season. I wouldn't make a decision about next season until next season (helpful, eh? :) ). Tho I would probably expect to place him at AAA next season.

His BC skill is mostly dead. His other skills are moving at an acceptable rate (1 point per season). This should continue giving something like this after his AAA season:

14 hit, 5 BC, 8 PD, 6 power, 12 field

A point per season in the majors (aside from BC) is what I would expect (maybe a 2 point in hit and glove due to big gaps, maybe less in power). I suspect you would have this after 3 seasons:

17 hit, 6 BC, 12 PD, 9 power, 16 field

This leaves him short of his 14 pot-ness, but is actually a really nice player. An elite defensive short stop with a + hit tool. The downside is he is 29 at this point.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Pointless to rush him up to AAA. You'd be better off leaving him in AA next season and then just going straight to the majors (he'll gain more training in AA at 25 than he would in AAA).

I've had lots of projects like this because my scouts are incapable of getting me good draft options, LOL.

What I would do is promote him to AA as soon as he get the thumbs up, then leave him in AA all of next season. Give him a year in AAA when he is 26 years old, and then promote him at some point in the season when he is 27 (definitely before all-star break). He should peak out around 30 years old, and if you are lucky, you will be able to squeeze 4-5 productive years out of him.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Pointless to rush him up to AAA. You'd be better off leaving him in AA next season and then just going straight to the majors (he'll gain more training in AA at 25 than he would in AAA).

Curious. I would think that when a player has no recommendation, it wouldn't matter. I doubt the game refers to last season's placement when the training update fires. Somewhat difficult to prove.

Personally I would put such a player in the highest level b/c SI gains are typically largest in AAA, and the player likely gets the "not at the correct level" penalty regardless of where he is.
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah, as I said before I passed on Archuleta for his lesser-talented namesake back in 2028 and was very disappointed, but his slow development since has taken some of the sting out of that (I've kept track). Still disappointing he's moved so slowly, could have been a real stud if he'd moved quickly.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I would think that when a player has no recommendation, it wouldn't matter. I doubt the game refers to last season's placement when the training update fires.

Just speaking from a programming perspective, I doubt that is how it works. It is more likely that a guy's "appropriate level" is a set variable (probably based on training). Just because it no longer makes any recommendations at 25 doesn't mean he doesn't still have an appropriate level. It just means you have to determine where it is yourself without any help from the AI. This guy's "appropriate level" at age 25 will undoubtedly be AA, and since they gain more training when they are at the appropriate level, he will gain more SI in the long run.

Updated Thursday, July 27 2017 @ 5:38:43 pm PDT
BrianV

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks for the advice all. It's frustrating to slowly watch him (and Saavedra) develop, but they will get there in the end!

Previous Page | Show All |