Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Lack of Pitching   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
mjreichard

New Orleans Knights
IV.5

Broken Bat Baseball
I am only in season 4, so still kind of learning the ropes. Took an average team to a title, then moved up and got destroyed last year with an ageing roster, so back down a level.

M biggest dilemma is finding good pitching. Pitching also seems hard to develop in the minors.

Any advice on where to find or how to best develop pitchers?
Yuri84

Apple Valley Raccoons
IV.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Pitchers are actually way easier to develop than position players. They're also easier to 'salvage' if they're underdeveloped (you can give playing time to a pitcher with, say, 60 SI and there's a good chance he'll get to 90+ in a couple seasons time).

Just draft a lot of them. Or sign up young free agents.

Updated Monday, August 7 2017 @ 4:09:00 pm PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
One thing to note, POT is calculated differently for pitchers and hitters. So while POT 12 hitters are often borderline, POT 12 pitchers can easily make up the bulk of a rotation. I frequently see strong POT 12 pitchers slip through waivers. Fish that POT 12 pool, and you can staff up your minors pretty quick.
mjreichard

New Orleans Knights
IV.5

Broken Bat Baseball
Awesome, that is helpful. I did not know 12's are different for P's, that does make some sense now looking over things.

I have been trying to fish out some 12 and 13 pitchers from Waivers and Free Agent.

I took over a team where all the best players were old and the previous owner filled the minors with 11's! I was able to eek out a championship before the roster got old, but this rebuilding mode is tough!

Never sure when to release a vet to let a young guy get AB's or when to give a young guy innings.

Thanks for the advice!
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
At your level, some POT 11 can still be useful. At the highest levels, POT can pretty much only be a really well built DH with no defensive abilities.

I find its pretty hard to win waivers during the season flip because so many people are combing through the waivers right now. The claims seem to slow down a bit during the season.
jclemen2

Mount Prospect Skeletons
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I've found myself in the opposite position. I have over 20 pitchers who are 26 or younger and my roster is full. 4 of those are on my Major league roster and have 12 POT and 5 are in AAA with 12 POT. My pitchers who are 13 or 14 POT are all younger and in the lower levels. I obviously need to clear some room out to still be able to make waiver claims and draft players but I'm stuck on who to let go. I may need to start a who should i drop post. :)
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Nothing wrong with those posts, folks will have opinions :)

An important part of being successful in the game is keeping a healthy pipeline of talent. That definitely means you have to make some hard cuts, where you cut a guy you think it pretty good just because you have better guys at the same position and the same age.
dsz071

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball

Fish that POT 12 pool, and you can staff up your minors pretty quick.

I have had very little luck drafting pitchers and at one point last season I had 3 pitchers in my minors! So that is exactly what I did. Now, my lower minors is full of 12 POT pitchers that were first and second round draft picks that other managers dropped for one reason or another. Some are progressing well, others not so much. But you can find some gems from time to time.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm mostly posting to suggest OP replace his manager. Can hopefully do better than vanilla 10s.

A 12 pot guy was my opening day starter. It's neat there is more to it than pot. I recently had an epiphany where I noticed guys with a certain pitch type in their repetoire have consistently outperformed my expectations.

Try lots of guys. If something sticks to the wall try to figure out why.

If all else fails, play a 20 range CF. :)

Previous Page | Show All |