Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Very few good stuff in FA   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
AssumedPseudonym

Deerfield Beach Rats
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
 Just from the four seasons I’ve played, I’d say that Rock’s hit this one right on the head. The more you improve, the harder it is to find improvements. Having been through the market recently, it’s not so much a case of, “These guys all suck, I don’t want them,” as it is a case of, “These guys ain’t bad, but I’ve already got someone better.” There are players out there I would have pounced on back in 2029 when I first started playing that I just simply don’t need with my current state of farm system, and there will probably be players currently in my farm system who will become redundant and/or obsolete as I either draft better players or snap up C&Rs from higher level teams with better outfitted minors than mine.
occham

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Although I certainly agree with the 'more you improve, the less there is to draw' comment, I personally believe the active owners have increased.

Last year, there were periods during the season where there were NO POT 13 pitcher FAs below 28 years old. None. This year there's actually about 8 right now but it's was down to about 3 earlier in the season. I wasn't playing 10 seasons ago but that willingness to sign even terrible POT13 prospects suggests to me a tight market.

Updated Sunday, September 3 2017 @ 3:40:31 pm PDT
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I think occham nailed it with his comment
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm needing to make a cut, anyone have any thoughts? I could stand with what I have but I do like to have an open spot.
AssumedPseudonym

Deerfield Beach Rats
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
 I kinda hate to say it, but for me the cut I’d make if it were my team would be Marcelo Rojas. I know he’s a 14 POT, but he looks to be irreparably behind on training. At his current rate of growth, looking at the past few seasons, you’re looking at 79 SI by the time he hits 29 years old.
Unless he suddenly just explodes in training, he’ll never get as high as the floor for an 11 POT, and may not be lucky enough to reach 10 POT territory.

Updated Sunday, September 3 2017 @ 1:57:17 pm PDT
Noodle

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Id aslo throw Cade Blank in there as a cut as well. He is never goin to reach his potential as a decent hittter. That will aslo fix your glut of middle infielders you have.
Pig_Cola

Glendale Marshals
III.2

Broken Bat Baseball
I agree with AP about Rojas. He's way behind in training and will not reach his potential.
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Rojas is certainly a candidate, always been on the verge of getting cut but always found someone else. The plan with him is to promote him to AAA after the ASG and keep him there until the season rollover, and then promote him to the majors. He might never reach his 14 POT minimum but could still be a decent pitcher - 40 SI growth in two seasons in the majors is certainly possible, seen it happen many times.

I won Blank off waivers two weeks ago and all he needs is playing time. He's gained 3 SI in that time and might well gain more if he gets enough AB. The question is, will it be worth waiting on him? As a lefty thrower he's no 2B so that doesn't matter and I've played him exclusively in the OF anyway. There's similarities to Miranda who won't hit as well but is a good OBP guy, but do I need both? Kolb got the call last week (I kept him down for two updates) and might hit better than both Blank and Miranda, but has further to go.

I'd actually really like to cut the perenially-disappointing Waters, the second guy I've had with that 18-16-10-16 build who couldn't hit consistently. And yet Ortiz with his 19-17-8-14 build hits everything (career .321 hitter).
occham

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
The challenge you'll face with Rojas is that to get that 20+ training season, you have to actually get out there and eat innings.

How many innings can you afford a to give a 12+ ERA guy in V?

I've got a bunch of scrubs pounding out innings right now and it ain't pretty - but I'm in VI. Can't go any lower :)
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah, I know...but that was the final nail in Rojas' coffin: he's gone. Sentiment kept him hanging on, but finally got there in the end.

Previous Page | Show All |