Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Inspiration for team playing styles?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
AssumedPseudonym

Deerfield Beach Rats
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
 I grew up watching the Cardinals in the ’80s. I’ve always remembered Busch Stadium as a pretty big ballpark, so when I acquired the team and stadium with its maxed-out dimensions (which is actually a bit bigger than what the Cardinals played in back then), I consciously began sculpting the team to emulate the Whiteyball approach rather than change the ballpark to fit the team I had inherited.

Earlier this morning, the amusing thought occurred to me that it’s only fitting that the Rats should be using a style of baseball that was pioneered by The White Rat.

Anybody else out there have inspiration for how you’ve been running your team?
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Sorry, but mine is more pragmatic... I drafted these guys, they have no power and tend to be a bit flyball oriented with lots of range and speed, so I gave them lots of room to work with and made it as hard as possible to hit it out for other teams (since my guys can't consistently hit it out of a bandbox ballpark anyways).
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Funny that, me being a lifelong Cardinal fan yet taking a similar approach and trying to build a team around a park, but in this case choosing the Pirates' PNC Park. I originally set the dimensions as close as possible to PNC but made a minor tweak this past season. Indeed, my right-handed power (and right-handed hitting in general) has been rough at times. In truth, my right-handed hitting has actually been OK in the past, but this year it has been the worst it's ever been in the six seasons I've been playing. I have more left-handed bats on the way starting next year, but let's be honest: building up solid pitching + fielding + lefty hitting for that park has been a chore. And trying to build a team around a park has probably at least a tiny bit been why I've stalled in LLIV. *shrug*

Updated Thursday, September 21 2017 @ 7:03:36 am PDT
dsz071

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm kinda in the same boat as newtman. Fly ball pitchers, lots of range and defense, no power on offense. But I messed up when I made my ballpark. I didn't realize until right after this season started that range was aggregated. So I had built my ballpark with my great hitting, no range RF in mind. It seemed to work ok the last couple seasons as far as HR allowed. But it will be fixed in the off-season.
Cactusguy21

Presque Isle Vikings
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Being an Orioles fan, I have spent my first season trying acquire contact hitting and starting pitching, neglecting power hitting and bullpen.

Wait, that doesn't seem right.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I don't really follow pro sports, but I played ball t-ball through high school. So mostly just going with what I know worked in real life.

Previous Page | Show All |