Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Training Questions   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Bridger

Muncie Flyers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Finally starting to feel like I have some idea what I'm doing here...but a few things have been bugging me about the minors/training. Is there any conventional wisdom that would help address any of the following questions?

- I have been promoting players from one division to the next as soon as they get the recommendation. Is that a mistake? Is there a better way to handle it?

- I have no idea how to handle players who don't get the big league recommendation before they turn 25. I have been leaving them in AAA for arbitrary amounts of time during the age 25 season. Is there a better way to handle this?

- I currently have 8 NPs in A-ball. Is it possible to train two players at the same position in the same level of the minors or do I need to train them all at different positions? Does having too many players at a level hurt playing time?

- How many at innings does a NP need to get full training in a week in the majors? For a pitcher?

I would be especially interested in any threads with extended discussions of these topics to get some context.
wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I have been here even less time than you, but let me answer what I know:

1. Is it possible to train two players at the same position in the same level of the minors

Yes. I have learned from other folks that minor league games are played with randomly assigned teams of players from across all minor leagues. So you could have all of your minor leaguers set to SS, and the game would find them spots at SS on the minor league simulated games. Or, if that's not entirely the accurate way to put it, this is: the game would give them credit for experienced earned at SS for each sim-day.

Now, here's my current working thoughts:

1. "I have no idea how to handle players who don't get the big league recommendation before they turn 25."

I have been making sure my 25+ players have accrued 2 seasons at AAA before calling them up/back up to the majors. I'm not sure if this is smart, but this is what I'm doing now.

2. "How many at innings does a NP need to get full training in a week"

I would LOVE to know the answer to this. For me, training has been an absolute crap shoot. Some times I get lots of gains for lots of players, and some times I get absolutely crap for very few players.

3. " I have been promoting players from one division to the next as soon as they get the recommendation. Is that a mistake?"

I have been promoting players from one division to the next as soon as they get the recommendation as well, with the exception of the jump from AAA to the majors. Then, I make sure they have 2 seasons at AAA before doing it. I have one or two players that are getting the call to the majors in these last 2 weeks of this season, but I'm keeping them down and letting them start 2034 in the majors.

I'm not sure if this is wise, but it's my current operating procedure.

Updated Monday, September 25 2017 @ 1:03:06 pm PDT
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
With regards to minor league time, following recommendations is pretty good. The rule of thumb I think is that they need about the same amount of time at each level with the possible exception of the one they start at (since they theoretically could be understood to already have accumulated a certain percentage of the training they would get at that level). An example of this could be if a guy spends 8 updates at Rookie, then 15 updates at A, then turns 25 after 12 updates at AA, then the theoretical ideal training based on this would be 3 more updates at AA followed by 15 updates at AAA. Promotion to the majors in this case would be in the second half of his age 26 season.

Now there are certainly owners who would say that the cost of that player staying down in the minors and not contributing, plus not having as many Major Leagues seasons outweigh the theoretical extra training he should have received. This debate will never be conclusive since any given player can't be done both ways, and the variation in training rates and performance from non-shown skill factors precludes a definitive answer, but the rule of thumb I listed above has been generally what many Legends and LL II players who are active in the forums have followed (with some exceptions).
Garnet

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
The more I play the more I find I am keeping 25 year old players in the minors- especially pitchers with 13+ POT.
If you don't need them in the majors the extra time doesn't hurt and you gain time at a chosen position if they are a position player. Some will say that you are spending more for less return...but unless you have an equivalent player to replace them with -- it doesn't matter (unless the team has a cash flow issue of course).

I have a few examples of pitchers in my current lineup that I promoted at 25 just to find they didn't hit their potential SI. I first thought I just didn't play them enough in the majors but now I am not so sure...
Looking back - I can see how I gave them 1 full year at AAA (thinking that was all that was needed) but I believe if I kept them an extra year or even 1/2 year, they would have achieved their potential.
FreddyTheEye

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
+1 what newtman said

I'll add that *IMO* a 25 year old without a rec. will not be harmed by playing him in the majors if you are playing him everyday. He may under perform that season but will still reach his max.

If he isn't starting, he is likely better off playing in AAA (like everyone else just said) and this will have the same overall net result on the player (again...IMO)

Just clarifying there may not be only one way to achieve max development.

Previous Page | Show All |