Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Greatest closer season ever....   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Endrju

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
@Mike
I think a lot depends on your management settings. I put my best reliever at closer and he always is set to enter in 8th. Second best reliever is at setup 1. Historically closers on my team pitch 80-100 innings per season, while setup 1 goes 90-100.
motko

Nauvoo The Great Horned Owl
IV.6

Broken Bat Baseball
With closer, whenever he pitches if he fails you lose if he successes you win... Fewer innings so he can be ready in the next game.

hey guys this talk is really deep like you get to choose how you play its not in the rule book.
Thats the amazing part in any sports, i think!
Dan6176

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
http://brokenbat.org/player/83562

Saves as a stat are over rated in my opinion. The role of closer is important to me and his converted save % is a better stat to show his effectiveness in that role. [url]http://http://brokenbat.org/player/83562[/url] has done pretty well for me.

Updated Thursday, October 5 2017 @ 2:34:45 pm PDT

Updated Thursday, October 5 2017 @ 2:35:15 pm PDT
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
@motko, you are totally right, our suggestions were meant to maximize utility though. For example, I gave Rosa every opportunity I could to pitch this season (except against the one team that consistently hit him hard). As such, I strongly credit Rosa as being the primary reason I will be in Legends again next season. Not coincidentally, he is the only pitcher on my team I would NOT trade to get Ochoa. I don't believe I would have stayed up if I hadn't thrown Rosa every day he was rested.

Updated Thursday, October 5 2017 @ 4:52:16 pm PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I agree with you motko. Closer comes in during the most important part of the game. I want my best pitcher in that role. If he has a lot of stamina, I let him come in during the 8th, but its best to have him available to pitch as many games as possible. As long as I am winning games my closers get plenty of innings. I consider the sets the be the second most important pitchers (after closer, but before starters).
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Many people agree with your philosophy; I don't. To me a game in the 7th inning or later that is a one run game or tied is a better use of the best reliever than coming in for the last three outs with a 2 or 3 run lead. I think that's even more true here because pinch hitters come in much earlier and more frequently than in real life (at least in MLB). While I didn't have quite that tight of a RD all the time for my best reliever, it probably averaged something like -1.5 to +2 in the 7th or later. He managed 99 appearances with 127 innings like that, most of which were highly contested affairs.

I suppose it also depends on the starting pitchers you have. If you want them pulled in the eighth inning if they're winning a close game, a great two-inning closer guy might be nice. What I don't like about that is if you blow it open, he stays out there for the ninth. Using short pitch count guys eliminates that extra unnecessary work.
beyondsuburbia

St. Peters Cardinals
IV.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Way back when I first started I had this guy and he did pretty good

Updated Friday, October 6 2017 @ 10:52:11 am PDT
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Woah, first post after nearly six real life years playing the game... welcome to the forums. Though I guess you've been playing two real life years longer than me. :)
motko

Nauvoo The Great Horned Owl
IV.6

Broken Bat Baseball
@ MukilteoMike

I like that. Sometimes opponent puts heavy load of runs early in the game against my best starters..
So the conclusion somehow is, use the key pitchers when its about win and lose situation. Right?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
If I was actually managing the game real-time, I would play differently, but with the controls given, I prefer to use the closer. I think it also depends a lot on your team make-up. Definitely not a one size fits all.

Previous Page | Show All |