Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Spring Training Things   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
@GrizzlyDan, either inactive or incompetent owner. Putting a guy out there in spring training who should be retired serves no purpose whatsoever for the team doing it. They may be a highly competitive person who simply wants to win, but they are hurting their own team's opportunity to develop players who could actually benefit from those innings.

I can say that even with a full staff of guys you want to get playing time, if your staff has been particularly worked over the game will throw in an unassigned guy from time to time, but those instances are usually following particularly rough outings where 7+ pitchers are used by one team.
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah, I just ran into a team fielding a full roster of majors/30-somethings in spring training, meaning my squad got crushed. Not that I care about that; I really don't. However, it's certainly more difficult to get much appreciable data out of games when it's scrubs vs. stars. *shrugs* Though I suppose spring training stats are mostly noise anyway...
Garnet

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I find when that happens - it is quite annoying. I don't care about the spring training record - immaterial results.
However, if you face a veteran pitcher that goes 9 innings.... our minor league players get 3, a few get 4 at bats... that limits the experience/training for AB, fielding innings started etc.
Give me a few rookie pitchers on both teams, go 9+ innings and get 6 at bats for both teams - win or lose the game ==both teams win in the long run.
ESac

San Antonio Defenders
IV.7

Broken Bat Baseball
My team isn't doing too bad.
Cactusguy21

Presque Isle Vikings
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Meh, 5-7, I'll take it. Lots of young relivers will lose you some games.
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Spring Training bright spot is our SP "Air Force." He's always looked plain by scouting report, but he has a long history of success in the minors. He got a cup of coffee this past season in September, and his spring stats are giving me further optimism that he should slot into long relief to start the season, with a possibility in the rotation if he proves himself.
ESac

San Antonio Defenders
IV.7

Broken Bat Baseball
Still doing ok.
MickyMinn

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Why does spring training matter? Does amount of playing time actually affect a player, particularly a young player? Having a rookie or A player hit .091 in spring training can't possibly be good for him, can it?
ESac

San Antonio Defenders
IV.7

Broken Bat Baseball
Check my recent press briefing. Is there any other pitcher who has done that?
Endrju

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Why does spring training matter? Does amount of playing time actually affect a player, particularly a young player? Having a rookie or A player hit .091 in spring training can't possibly be good for him, can it?
It is extra experience for young players that are not in the majors yet. The performance of any single player is irrelevant, they receive extra experience with every AB or IP. So having a player hit .091 in ST does not make him gain less experience than a player that hit .391.

@Esac
This is a fully grown 30 year old pitcher that has destroyed poor youngsters of other teams. Nothing to write home about really.

Previous Page | Show All |