Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> 2B, 3B, and SS: Most forgiving place to have low Fielding?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Simple question: If you had a righty with high Range (16+) and Arm (16+) but average (10) Fielding, and you had to plug him in the IF, where would be the most forgiving location for that Fielding?

More than a year of anecdotes on the forums suggests 3B, though the extra range would probably be wasted there. (Center field would make the most sense, but I'm limiting it to the IF.) Do you concur?

Updated Thursday, October 26 2017 @ 6:14:42 am PDT
Noodle

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Definitely 3rd base, if he is going to stick in the infield. You want your best fielder's up the middle so his fielding doesn't play at SS or 2nd.

Your right in that his range would be wasted at 3rd but his arm is strong enough for the position.

It's not 100% ideal but it's your best option.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
That's a tough mix. 2B is definitely out. 3B would be my first choice. Depending on my options, though, short would be a possibility. A scary one. I would have to have no good SS in sight AND be sure I could get him to capital SS defense before making the majors.
wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
noodle/all:

Correct me if im wrong, but the range wouldnt be as wasted at 3B as it would be at C, for example, right? I mean, range is aggregated so if you have someone playing 3b or 1b w some range, that range is still helpful to your overall defense since range is aggregated.

No?

Jeff
Endrju

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
My first choice would be RF, then CF. I would avoid playing him in the infield with 10 fielding, but if you have no other place to put him, 3B will do.
EchoBravo34

Sioux City Catfish
V.15

Broken Bat Baseball
OF build, if IF required then 3B. Fielding that low is liability at 2B or SS
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
@ wickersty

I'm with you. I like me some range on my 3B.

Ideal 3B (for me) is the guy you'd have at SS if only he had another point or two of range.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
OF, if not OF then C, then 1B... 3B is last resort. NEVER would I play a guy without a positive fielding message at 2B or SS. I did over ten seasons ago, but I learned from that mistake...
Favuz

Oxnard Sunsets
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
A Guy with that build has written OF all over him (CF/RF), but if you want to make him play Infield, i'll suggest C 1B or 3B, in this order.

As a C he wastes a bit of range
as a 1B he wastes a bit of arm
as a 3B he wastes a bit of range and he could be a little of a problem with his below average fielding.

It really depends on your other guys at those positions.

Previous Page | Show All |