Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Opinion on a 2B prospect   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Hi guys,

I have a prospect named Juan Carlos Cornejo who I've had an on again off again relationship with. I've cut him once, then managed to reclaim him again off waivers. Now I'm beginning to consider cutting him again. I would love hearing any of your thoughts on him.

He's a 20 year old POT 13. He has no hitting comment, and is projected to have Above Average power and decent speed. His fielding is projected to be Outstanding and his range is a very nice but not amazing 17. His arm has recently dropped one point to 12.

I've been projecting him as a 2B. The lack of a hitting comment sucks, but I believe an amazing 2B doesn't HAVE to have a hitting comment. However, his fielding is projected to be Outstanding, not Amazing. And at 17, his range is real nice, but also not Amazing.

So my question to you is, do you find Juan Carlos Cornejo to be a 2B prospect? Would you hold onto him for that purpose? I should say he's my only real 2B prospect at the moment and I don't have a real SS prospect in my minor league system. I should also say that I have a young 2B named Tim McHenry (a POT14 with no hitting or power scouting comments, only Amazing fielding) that has made his rookie debut this season. So not only would Juan Carlos Cornejo have to be a worthwhile 2B prospect, but he would also have to be good enough to replace Tim McHenry.

Also, I suppose that with Cornejo being 20 and McHenry being 25, that by the time Cornejo is major league ready (assumedly 24 or 25), McHenry will be pushing 30. However, 30 is not retirement age, so McHenry should still have another 3-4 years+ of prime playing time beyond that... basically, I'm saying that when Cornejo is major league ready, McHenry will be in his prime and still have a few years in the tank, so I would imagine they'll be competing for starting playing time for a few years in the future.

Thank for your thoughts!

Jeff

Updated Tuesday, October 31 2017 @ 10:08:53 am PDT

Updated Tuesday, October 31 2017 @ 10:11:49 am PDT
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
IV.7

Broken Bat Baseball
A couple of thoughts. I like him. My major concern would be his training arc, which appears to be okay but it depends on when he promotes to AA. Not excited that he seems to have missed the steroid training shot this spring.

But I think you should train him at SS since he's already capitals at 2B. That way he can also come off the bench as a backup middle infielder if he can't crack the starting lineup.

To sum it up in one sentence: if you don't want him, I would take him.
Bridger

Muncie Flyers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Optimistically, he ends up somewhere around:

13/9/12/13 16 16/17/12

That seems like a legit starting 2B to me. I would only cut him if you start to suspect he isn't going to reach his cap.
wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks to both of you. A side question, when you do an estimate like that Bridger, how are you determining what you think his BC and PD will be? I never understood how to forcecast those.

Thanks

Jeff
amalric7

New York Lancers
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
He looks like a decent defensive 2B to me, but I personally prefer more of a bat there (positive pure hit comment, or decent slugger or better). But if you don't have any other prospects at 2B I'd certainly hold on to him.

You can get some idea of how a player will pan out by looking at his starting SI breakdown and then looking at his Development Graph. Cornejo doesn't really have much to examine there right now, and I tend to look at the pessimistic projection when assessing a player, so he may look like this (worst case*):-

10/12/9/11-16-17/17/12

*By worst case I mean, assign maximum points to fielding and spread the rest as you deem fit. Assigning maximum points to fielding may of course be ideal for a defensive middle infielder.
Bridger

Muncie Flyers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
@wickersty

First, I use the current skills and initial skills (first tick on development graph) to project where a player will end up if each skill continues to progress at the same pace.

Then I adjust for the scouting report if the resulting build doesn’t work.

It’s not perfect, but it gives you a good idea. The more SI a player has gained, the more accurate it is likely to be.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
This is how I project players: http://brokenbat.org/forum/0/2/4082
FreddyTheEye

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I claimed him to act as a backup middle infielder and played him at SS for a half season in A ball.
Dropped him in the roster numbers game because he's developing so slowly, power and sb's dropped since rookie ball and I do not suspect he will have the PD suggested by others. Also guessing he may not be able to hit righties.
I hope he is a sleeper and stars for you though.

Previous Page | Show All |