Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Does anyone consider a Catcher's Fielding attribute?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm always trying to think of aspects of BB that I may have overlooked... and lately I've been wondering if there's any mileage to the idea that a Catcher's Fielding attribute has an impact on pitching. I know it's a bit of a stretch... but a catcher's ability to call the game, to frame pitches, to get the most out of his pitcher... could that be impacted by his Fielding attribute? Or is Fielding in a catcher nearly entirely worthless in BB?
ephenssta

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I think the prevalent idea about catchers is all that really matters is his arm (to throw out baserunners stealing) and maybe range.
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm convinced something about the catcher factors in to pitching success. Not sure what that is. Fielding or position knowledge maybe ?
wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I feel like I'm convinced too. But I re-read the Help section and saw this:

Catcher:
The catcher (C) does not field many balls, but is required to try to throw out runners trying to steal bases. For this the catcher should have a good arm. Range and fielding aren't particularly important. Also, because most batters are right handed, being right handed makes this throwing to second base easier.

So if we believe the Help section, and we always do, range and fielding aren't particularly important. That said, I still feel like there MUST be something about catchers beyond their arm strength. So that makes me think the most likely thing is their position knowledge.

Updated Wednesday, November 1 2017 @ 11:15:16 am PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Catchers get a penalty for being lefty just like SS, 2B or 3B. For those other positions I believe the penalty is mostly just applied to their fielding attribute. I don't believe that is the case for Catchers. Steve has mentioned in previous threads that position experience is still important to Catchers because they do more than just throw runners out. So I suspect their experience is still important if not their fielding, and I suspect that high fielding will not make up for lack of experience in the same way it would for a position like 1B.
Bridger

Muncie Flyers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
So the implication here is that position-training a C in the major leagues MIGHT significantly hinder the performance of a pitching staff?

If so, I really need Edgardo Amador to get that small c soon...

Previous Page | Show All |