Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Would love to talk about my 1B/OF if you're interested...   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
jetsrock48

Davenport Cobras
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I like fielding and range at 1B. If they aren't good enough for 2B that is where I stash them. I think this guy is a perfect 1B (Keith Hernandez). Lefty so don't really want to put him at any other IF position. His arm is way too low to put in CF or RF so your down to either 1B or LF. His really high fielding will make him a gold glove at first. A+ in my opinion. Offensively he should hold up in Leagues VI and V. I see him as a multiple all star type player if he continues to put up those numbers offensively with multiple gold gloves as well.
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I really like him at 1B. Maybe you don't need fielding at 1B but it sure doesn't hurt. I personally like to have a good glove at 1B. As evidence, you may check out Crespo, Luna, or up and comer Foster.

I think his arm is awful for CF.

I like his power, even if he's a bit of an offensive ugly duckling otherwise.

I think you should enjoy him. Maybe you'll find a better 1B one of these days but that's his best position. LF is the only other choice but his fielding is better at 1B than his range is in LF IMO.

Edit: I would have no problem with Flynn at 1B either.

Updated Monday, December 18 2017 @ 6:24:07 pm PST
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Flynn looks like a good 1B to me.
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
This is interesting. I have no issue at all with a 19 Glove at 1B, but that 16 Range is wasted there for me - for the most part I save 1B for good bat, low range guys (and there's plenty of those around). On my team I haven't noticed any difference defensively whether its Miranda or Connelly out there at first, which leads me to believe (also going on something I read Steve say about position weights) that Range makes minimal difference there.

Range is the most important attribute defensively in the OF however, and I'll take that over Fielding and Arm every time (although all three would be nice). Which is why I would play De La Garza over Flynn in the OF every time - Flynn is absolutely not an OF for me with that Range, under any circumstance: he's 1B/DH only.

Of course, you can only work with the tools at your disposal. My outfielders are one 18 Range guy in CF and the rest are Range 13-14, but the best Arm I can manage is a mere 10. At least they can all hit! The days of Lawson's 18 Range/18 Arm in CF and Fletcher's 15 Range/17 Arm in RF are sadly long gone. :)
motko

Nauvoo The Great Horned Owl
IV.6

Broken Bat Baseball
all the defensive skills are veeeeery secondary with 1b. The franchise 1b should be killer offensve-wise...or will be replaced season after season By left over FAs.
wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
@amalric @all

But isn't it impossible, without watching all your games and paying close attention or even taking notes, to tell how many ground balls your 1B is letting through to right field... and that would be where the range comes into play, no?

Meaning, ok --- your 1B might have a high fielding percentage with only mediocre/decent Fielding rating, and you'd see that in his stats, but can you really know how his range is or isn't stopping ground ball singles into right field?

Jeff
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
that 16 Range is wasted there for me

I've never been fond of the term "wasted" in these types of discussions. "Bonus" seems more appropriate to me.

Meaning, ok --- your 1B might have a high fielding percentage with only mediocre/decent Fielding rating, and you'd see that in his stats, but can you really know how his range is or isn't stopping ground ball singles into right field?

I'm on board with this.

Lets say you could move 4 points of his range to PD. Would that help your team?

That range is active every time the opponent puts the ball in play. Sure its not as helpful on a 1B as it would be a CF, but it is still providing value.

Is that value more than 8 PD vs. 12 PD? Almost certainly. His PD would still be bad, and it only gets used ~4 times per game.

I feel Rock777's assessment is a little bit harsh. I would expect his average to dip as you climb, but it wouldn't surprise me if his power was more resilient. A 30 HR LHB is an asset regardless of position. Couple that with gold glove caliber defense, and I feel you have a nice puzzle piece at your disposal moving forward.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
PS - good luck with Jack Foster. I was hesitant to cut him. When I drafted Bolton I decided to go with the homegrown guy instead. Wouldn't surprise me if Foster ends up being the better player.
wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
@seca hah thanks re: foster. I've got my fingers crossed for either a great backup C or a decent/good starting C in about 6 or 7 seasons.

re: my 1b situation, for the playoffs I've moved De La Garza to the outfield and Flynn to 1B. Through the regular season I've had some people playing out of position, learning new positions (or just because I didn't have a place for them to play but wanted their development to continue). I was lucky (or good) enough to outhit the consequences, but in the playoffs I don't want to risk some bad defense in a short series.

However, I think I've decided to return De La Garza to 1B in 2035 and enjoy that range in the infield. Means Flynn has to be my full time DH.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I think Range is useful for all players, but it probably has a small effect at 1B. That is why I would rather have range else where. No problem with range at 1B. I actually value range higher than fielding at 1B, its just that I range higher at every other position (other than Catcher). Hitting an Power on the other hand will definitely have a positive impact at 1B, which is why I prioritize those. If a guy has a lot of range and fielding, it means his hitting skills are going to be lower.

Previous Page | Show All |