Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> No Playoffs??   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Cadillac Jack

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I know someone has probably asked this before. Why doesnt the second place team make the playoffs?

Thanks
Cadillac Jack
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I think mostly so that the post season doesn't drag on for too long.
Cadillac Jack

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I think it would keep 3rd and 4th place teams from giving up early. Seems like 90 plus win teams should make the playoffs.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball

Seems like 90 plus win teams should make the playoffs.

There is no way to do this. Some leagues have several 90+ win teams while others may only have one. The number of teams making it would vary by league and season based on record. With only six teams per division it would greatly devalue the regular season if everyone who didn't demote went to the playoffs. Everyone plays each other in this format as well, which means it is far more representative of a large sample size showing who the best is than a sport like college football where it would be impossible for everyone to play each other in the regular season.

Updated Tuesday, December 19 2017 @ 4:13:16 am PST
Cadillac Jack

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
If the second place teams made the playoffs, I dont understand how that would devalue the regular season.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
If a team that has dominated all season long has one bad three game series then they don't even get to play for the title. That devalues their domination throughout the season.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Having one-third of the teams in the playoffs would be overkill. I understand many professional leagues do this, but that doesn't mean it's a good thing.

Previous Page | Show All |