Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Aggregate Range and Ballpark Adjustments   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
So, if range is aggregate across the field, I wonder two things:

1) is there an aggregate infield range and an aggregate outfield range? Or is it an aggregate *team* range?

2) is there any point to tailoring specific parts of a ballparks outfield configuration for a low range LF (short but high fence in left field)? Because if range is aggregate, that low range LFer is affecting everyone’s range (or, at least all the outfielders ranges) and therefore all outfield fences would need to come in shorter with higher walls in order to tailor the park to the defense.

Get what I’m saying? No point in tailoring specific sides of outfield wall to specific outfield positions since range is aggregated.

Thoughts?

Updated Thursday, February 22 2018 @ 5:22:41 am PST

Updated Thursday, February 22 2018 @ 5:24:25 am PST
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
IIRC there was an official post one time that said the match engine determines if it is a hit or not before it determines where the hit is located.

If true, his means there is just range, not infield range and outfield range.

From the rules,

Outfield Dimensions: large park dimensions tend to decrease home runs, but increase hits and extra base hits (other than home runs).
Wall Height: higher walls Outfield Dimensions: large park dimensions tend to decrease home runs, but increase hits and extra base hits (other than home runs).
Wall Height: higher walls tend to reduce the number of home runs.tend to reduce the number of home runs.

This suggests the size of the park is involved in both the if-it-is-a-hit decision and what-kind-of-hit-was-it decision.

My opinion is that ballpark decisions should be based more on the type of offense you intend to run rather than the defense you can put in the field. But I've only made 2 minor adjustments to my park in all my seasons here. Hurts my immersion radically changing the ballyard season to season. :)
PrivateSnowflake

Bloomington Thunder
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I remember it to be a team aggregate. Asymmetrical or symmetrical, it makes no difference.

I will add, as someone that has gone to extremes park-wise, do take the manual's advice on dimensions and height just as it is stated.

Previous Page | Show All |