Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Retirement Opinion   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
DaveCool

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I have a player, Peter Pierce, who is taking up room on my roster. He is 4 homers away from 300. No player in the history of my franchise has reached 300. The first time through the season it took half of the season to get there with horrible hitting whenever he played. Should I wait until he reaches 300 or am I just submitting to pride for a player who can be replaced by a younger better player full-time?
wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
This post made me think for a few minutes. The real answer is probably that you're being submitting to personal attachment and that there's probably a better player to take his place who can develop and grow with your team.

However, what gave me pause is this: why do you play the game? Why do any of us? Is it to win win win, build the best team we can and keep making that team better whenever we have the opportunity?

Or is there a certain amount of immersion and fantasy to playing this game? For instance, I have a player who I am two players who I've ground very fond of. They are reclamation projects that are so much better now than the cast-asides they were when I found them. Can I replace them with someone just a *little* bit better? Maybe/probably.

But I also have a little bit of fantasy in playing this game, where I'm envisioning my "team" and their "fans" and the players themselves. I want Mason and Mesa to tell the story of their careers. I also want to draft a guy like McElroy or Peralta and have him play his whole career with my team, retiring at a grizzly 35 or 36 year old veteran with some milestone career achievements and a spot in my team's hall of fame.

I don't want to play this game strictly by a rule of "don't let personal attachment to your players dictate your team decisions". There's got to be some amount of that, sure... I want my team to do well and I want to improve them when I can... and that happens in the real MLB too. But the real MLB also has Derek Jeters and Chipper Joneses and others who play long and late in their careers, with one team, with declining results, and become legendary. They have moments when they get to that 300th or 500th homer and their fans and cities go nuts and they become enshrined in lore and memory.

I want that to be a big part of the fun for me in BB too.
occham

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I'd agree with Wickersty,

Part of the magic of baseball is the great what if and the stats and records. If it doesn't hurt you to keep him, keep him and get to the magic number.

mjreichard

New Orleans Knights
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I am with you. I had 2 guys to decide about this year. 35 year olds, all their career with me, cost way more money than they deserve.

One guy was close to 1,000 Runs and 1,000 RBI...I cut him.

The other is close to 2,000 Hits and 450 HR...I am DH-ing him this year (still 14 Hit, 17 Pow) so he can reach those marks.

It is a tough call...
Cactusguy21

Presque Isle Vikings
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Keep him.

Definitely keep him.

Also you've inspired me to at some point re-sign one of my legends so I can get him to 1000 hits (he's a catcher, and only played five seasons as a starter, so the 1000 is a really high mark for him).

Updated Friday, March 2 2018 @ 4:18:52 pm PST
boltsman

Eden Prairie Wolves
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I have no idea what it is like to be up there in Div 3, but it does seems like he is one of those special player who played his whole career under your watch, played a special role in your ascension, and is the most decorated power hitter in franchise history.

(All of that from a barely 96 SI pot 12 player to boot!)

If I am in your shoes, I might only play him in spot duty unless the outcome of the season is set. However, I might hold on to him until he gets to 300 HR. Another angle to consider is whether Peter Pierce would like to hang around to try to get to 300 HR :)

I do have a similar player like you Samuel Foster, who is the only .400 hitter in Broken Bat history in the modern era. I did play him for the first half of the season in the 2035 that no longer existed, but I did switch him out for someone else because the promotion race was tight.

It's a hard choice for me because Foster currently has the 3rd highest career average in Broken Bat history, and the more I played him, the lower it will get. I do think I would like him to get to 2000 hits though and hang onto him until he is 35 so he can retire having played his entire career in my organization.
Brewnoe

Fall River Naughty Dawgs
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Another vote for keep him.

- and a reminder you need to play him if you want him to get numbers.

He's a nice mix of 2 of my "first day" guys.
He's got a Shadow Knight GB/FB ratio with a bit of Downtown funk.

DaveCool

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Well, he reached 300 a lot sooner than expected. He is only hitting.200 so I'm going to let him go to make room for others. He might still do well for a lower level team.

Previous Page | Show All |