Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Need Some Advice   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
5L1NK

Farmington Hills Cardinals
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
So good old Jerry Phillips, my longtime leadoff shortstop is about to retire. In the season that once was, due to sentimantality, i had him riding the bench backing up where needed as i picked up some talent in free agency. in the do over, i was not lucky enough to land a stud SS. instead i had to make due with Jerry for one last season.

Thanks to the season re do, i now know that my top prospect will be ready either this training update or next.

So here's my question. Do i let Phillips ride it out for the rest of the season and go down fighting, or let Todd come up and develop as early as possible.

I am partial to letting Todd stay in the minors so he can have a full rookie season and so Phillips can at least have a shot at an all league. Phillips has been playing out of his socks as of late and earned all Star status so shutting him down seems in pooor taste. I am however biased and am looking for others to comment and provide insight.
FreddyTheEye

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
IMO the second that Todd gets the recommendation he should be up and playing everyday. Prospects need to play and imo your team is better the second that switch is made.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I would have no issue playing Phillips over Todd if Phillips were the better option and could help you promote. But I think Phillips has just been very lucky this year behind the plate. And his defense is a liability. If nothing else Todd will be a defensive upgrade. Its totally a personal preference, and nothing wrong with taking the sentimental route in a game, but I would advise starting Todd once he is ready.

Not that you have to promote guys the immediately on AI recommendation. I find the AI recommendations are sometimes a bit aggressive, leading to players stunting. Looking at Todd though, I don't think that is an issue. He looks ready.
boltsman

Eden Prairie Wolves
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Hi fellow league mate! Your team is still right in contention, and I remembered your team to be doing even better in the previous take of 2035. I think the chance of earning a promotion is important enough to play your top prospect when he is ready.

Your top prospect looks like a great player both offensively and defensively. I would want to play him as soon as he is ready to start building his career towards a HOF worthy resume. He is also a much better improvement at SS for you.

It is tough to shut down your sentimental favorite, but he is 20 SI off his career high, and this season looks more luck driven than anything else. It would be cool to have him go out with a great year, but it would be really hard to earn an all-league with Memphis and Livermore both having a great SS putting up great numbers this season. I also have a franchise player who is 34, but had big drop off as well. I regret playing him this season where he put up terrible stats, and it just looks bad on his record. If I could go back in time, I wouldn't play him at all, so he can finish on a high note.
Cactusguy21

Presque Isle Vikings
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
To be truly honest, I personally wouldn’t put Todd at SS. His arm is too weak. Second base seems like a much better option currently, and that way you can still play Phillips (or upgrade him from the waiver wire).
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
YE GODS MAN. Phillips doesn't look like he should ever have played SS, and I wouldn't have had him anywhere other than 1B/DH - his Range and Arm are way too low for middle infield. You ideally want 15+ Fielding/Range/Arm at SS, and the same at 2B bar Arm which doesn't really matter.

Both players have decent bats but Todd is the better defender by some considerable distance (although I'd prefer him at 2B).
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
You have to work with what you have. Todd's optimal position might be 2B, but he is the best SS of the players on the team. So I would play him at SS right now. I'd take the range over arm any day at SS.
Jaybrams

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Sentimental v Strategical is tough. I'm a sucker for awards potential, so it'd be hard for me to take his shot at ROY away by bringing him in late, but that's not always the best move, eh?

If you think you can contend this year, bring in your best players for sure.

Previous Page | Show All |