Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Retire him or not?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Favuz

Oxnard Sunsets
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Hello guys,

Since Roanoke season is almost gone (with no relegation and very slim chances of promotion), i'm starting to plan ahead for the next season.

Future Hall of Famer Rivas is 35 and i was thinking to retire him at the end of the season and putting him in hall of fame.

Thing is, at 35 he's still my 3rd player in terms of OPS, and he's 1000+ against lefties.

I got a promising OF prospect coming up next year, so Rivas will not play against RHP. But i could use him as backup and starter against LHP.

What would you do? retire him at peak or trying to get him to 2000 hits?
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Ignore the quest for 2000 hits and make a decision independent of that. I think the answer depends on what you plan on doing with the rest of your many outfielders. Are Mondragon and Saenez sticking around? Frankly, I'm not sure what you're doing with Saenez. He's appeared in seven seasons and none with more than 69 at bats. Get rid of him; he's just taking up a roster spot. I'd be tempted to hang on to Rivas and Mondragon until seeing what the aging process does to them. My guess is one of them will fall 4+ points, which will signal his departure.
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I would not retire Rivas if he can still bring it. And all indications are he is still bringing it just fine. Retiring him is a move that you will not be able to undo (unless 2035 blip happens again) so I would hold off until I was certain. Seems like he's still performing at a high level. Even if he's only playing platoon, replacing a legitimate .300 hitter isn't easy. I've got Crespo DHing against RHP at 34 and likely again at 35 until he proves to me he's finished.
Favuz

Oxnard Sunsets
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Yeah, Saenez is definitely a filler, i kept him because i didn't need a roster spot (plus he's lefty and a great base stealer). He's first in list if i need to cut someone.

Mondragon is not performing well, but he provides decent OBP and speed while providing useful CF. Plus, he's the only reliable base stealer i have, a perfect leadoff.

For next season, i will almost certainly cut O'Neill (is aging really fast) and play something like Rose-Mondragon-Holland in OF, plus Agosto DH and Bentley 1B).

MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Sometimes we need someone that is distanced from us for intervention--Saenez is not what you think he is. He is not a great base stealer. Over 7 seasons he has 23 SB for you and 15 CS. As you stated, he's the guy that has to go first. All others should be safe until at least the dawn of 2036. One of those old-timers will probably go then, and it sounds as if you already know it's O'Neill. Unless Rivas falls off a cliff, he'll probably still be solid. I've never had a 36 year old here, though, so I don't know about that.
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I had a 36 year old for a quarter of a season. I retired him when he was having (for him) a terrible season. Still for those HOF hitters it is worth seeing before retiring him.

Previous Page | Show All |