Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> What do people think of wOBA?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Jason2327

Abilene Patriots
IV.3

Broken Bat Baseball
I don’t think I’ve ever said this,but I agree with Rock
ChillFunkEz3000

High Point Shaolin Stars
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
What do people think of wOBA (weighted on-base average)?

Wouldn't be my first choice of stat to add to the game, but nothing against it since it would still improve the game statistically wise.

Personally would prefer theExtrapolated Runs (XR) stat.
Skoormit

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
The weights used in wOBA reflect the relative value of offensive events in the run environment of MLB. It won't be a useful stat here. Run environments vary too much from park to park and league to league.
tamale

Concord Jets
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
I agree that there isn't much point trying to calculate game-specific park factors or weightings. But if added I'd definitely still use a generic version of wOBA, even if it isn't perfect.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
I added wOBA to the pop-up/tool tip for batting average.

I'm using the formula from fan graphs which has weighting based on a longer period of time than a given single MLB year.

Steve

Updated Sunday, March 20 2022 @ 1:16:01 pm PDT
g10rsh

Champaign Suzumebachi
VI.2

Broken Bat Baseball
sorry to necro the thread, but would it be possible to either include WOBA in the statistics page in general, or if that would make people too annoyed for some reason a button at the bottom of the screen to get an expanded stats page that would show the stats that can only be seen when highlighting a value as their own columns(home/away OBP SLG etc).

and yea I agree that the hit by pitch being rated higher than an a normal walk is weird, but hit by pitch is very rare compared to normal walks, and the values for each are calculated by just saying, given an inning where these events happened, how valuable (likely to score and how much) was that event without taking into account sequencing. when someone gets hit by a pitch its either on purpose and that pitcher gets removed for some other pitcher who apparently is of a lower quality, or the pitcher lost control and apparently that means that they will be more likely to allow scoring (over the sample sizes used to calculate WOBA on a year by year basis). also some sneaky players "lean in" to pitches to get a few more walks so skill isnt entirely out of the question (Jon Jay or Rizzo). on the opposit side, with a batter on second players often get walked to first to allow for an inning ending double play.

no statistic is perfect, but I like to look over all of them and as long as you know its flaws you can take that into account. its unlikely anyone is gonna get hit by pitch enough to have a high woba here, though I would love to see if anyone here has any evidence of the game log mentioning a bench clearing brawl XD
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Its there are a hover of AVG (along with far more valuable stats). Although I think it wouldn't be a bad thing to capture all of these hover stats in some sort of stats2 page.
ESac

San Antonio Defenders
IV.7

Broken Bat Baseball
As a sucker for advanced stats, I would definitely be in favor of implementing any hover stats onto their own page.

On a completely separate note, if anyone suggests that, I will most likely give it a +1.
lmartins6746

Asheville Aces
V.10

Broken Bat Baseball
as someone who plays almost exclusively on mobile, I'm all for having the hover stats on a stats page. Even just some buttons for vs RH/LH splits would be great.
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Edit: Nevermind. My comment is moot.

Updated Tuesday, May 9 2023 @ 5:49:00 am PDT

Previous Page | Show All |