Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Players Learning New Positions - Youth and Learning Speed   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Please correct me if I'm wrong about this, but I've noticed what appears to be evidence that players at a very young age are able to learn new positions (i.e. gain lower case position letters) more quickly (maybe even much more quickly) than older players.

Example:
Solis was drafted Round 1 2036, and did not know how to play 3B at all. At age 19, within 25 games he had learned his lower case 3b.

Mesa is 28 years old, but at the beginning of 2035 I placed him at 3B to learn the position from scratch. It's taken him until early this season to get his lower case 3b.

That's a big difference in time. It does make sense to me that a 19 year old minor leaguer would learn a new position faster than a 27 year old major leaguer, so maybe that's indeed baked into the code.

Any thoughts?
Jaybrams

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
not sure... This guy played almost 200 games at catcher, more than any other position in the minors, before he got his lower c. Maybe there is a hidden value of "learning speed" randomized for each person?

(Side note: previous owner moved him around a ton, which is a bit disheartening, but i digress)

Updated Wednesday, May 30 2018 @ 11:29:04 am PDT
AssumedPseudonym

Deerfield Beach Rats
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
 What probably happened is that he was created close to having his lowercase 3b when he was drafted. The real measure will be how long it takes him to get his uppercase from there.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
AP nailed it. I've had young players train for 5 years before gaining a position. It really depends on where they started out, and every players starts out in a different place for experience in every position. If you happen to train them in a position they already have some experience in, they will appear to "gain" the position sooner.

I suspect some guys also come with negative experience for some positions (like catcher), so it can actually take them longer to get "c" than to go from "c" to "C".

Updated Wednesday, May 30 2018 @ 4:43:02 pm PDT

Previous Page | Show All |