Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> My Broken Bat Journey   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
StretchDynamo

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Hello all, Im writing this post to highlight my ownership journey through this game because I'm been through crazy ups and downs as a team, but the Walla Walla Wolverines are finally seeming like a competitive team after years in the doldrums.

I picked the team up at the end of 2026 without much knowledge of what to do. 2027 the team had its best season of all time with Cesar Batista http://brokenbat.org/player/74615 having what I imagine was an all time season in BrokenBat. The success continued the next few years as we ascended to league 4. However, when I acquired the team, my minor league system was in shambles. Barely any prospects to note and I naively dropped a few young players with good potential who needed to grow just to replace them with aging, overpaid, win-now type players. That win-now attitude paid a vicious price over the next few seasons.

My empire started to crumble. I mismanaged my way into a losing situation. Both financially and competitively my team went into the red, whilst simultaneously dropping back into league 6. I couldn't acquire any players above the minimum so I knew what I had to do. FULL REBUILD. Through the years I had decent drafts and some players ready to make the leap to the Show, but I knew times would get rough as I needed to cut my team's salary to get back in a financially stable situation. 3 long years of finishing dead last in league 6, watching my prospects struggle to find footing and put something together. There were signs of hope. 7-1 losses turned into 5-3 games, 5-3 losses turned into the occasional 6-5 win.

Going into this 2036 season the Walla Walla Wolverines got some lucky breaks in the waivers, picking up 3 very solid relievers and a decent starting pitcher. I was just hoping to be competitive, maybe finish 4th or something. Just to show signs of progress. So far this season, albeit it's still early, the Walla Walla Wolverines are in first place in the league by 4 games, bolstered by an amazing pitching staff. Both the starters and the relievers have been lights out. Our closer Tuero http://brokenbat.org/player/138980 has been perfect in the league so far with an ERA less than 1. In the cup, we just scraped by the group stage, but we made it out for the first time since 2031. We had a tough match up with league 3 Eastpointe. I surely thought this was the end of our run, especially after losing game 1. But we pulled through! Now we're in the 2nd round for the first time since 2004!!!!!!!

I know this post is long but I had to share because there's something magical about this team right now and it seems like I finally figured out how to build a sustainable roster that hopefully can breed further success. Watch out BrokenBat, the Walla Walla Wolverines (for the time being), are coming!!!

Updated Saturday, June 9 2018 @ 10:10:50 am PDT

Updated Saturday, June 9 2018 @ 10:11:32 am PDT

Updated Saturday, June 9 2018 @ 10:12:28 am PDT

Updated Saturday, June 9 2018 @ 10:12:44 am PDT
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
IV.8

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm very glad to hear you stuck it out during the lean years. I imagine there are a lot of great people who we never got to hear from because they gave it up as a lost cause. Congrats on turning that big ship around :)
Alyksandur

Boca Raton Gryphons
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
 I know exactly what you mean about those signs of hope, losses getting less lopsided and squeaking out those close wins that would have been been losses in seasons past. That’s where Boca Raton is right now, complete with the whole might-not-finish-dead-last mindset. Granted, I picked up the team expecting that while I was rebuilding as an experimental team instead of falling from a higher league to the basement of VI. Like Haselrig, I’m impressed that you stubborned your way through.

I’ve been watching the league notes over here, and there’ve been more than a few pickups you’ve made that have made me raise my eyebrows. You snagged at least two pitchers this season that I wanted for my DFB team, and while I didn’t do the same preseason post for VI.30 that I did in VI.8, I did run the numbers, so when you got those pitchers I was thinking, “This guy could be about to light it.”

Pretty sure it’s lit.

Yeah, it’s still early in the season, but you’re definitely pointed in the right direction and even look to have some momentum on your side. Probably the best advice I can give right now is to keep doing what you’ve been doing to run your team and improve it. It seems to be working. ^.^
Frankebasta

Kodiak Mules
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Kudos!
That's the way to go
motko

Nauvoo The Great Horned Owl
IV.6

Broken Bat Baseball
Keep up Strech D! Good to have u here!
StretchDynamo

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks for the support guys happy to be here.

@Alyk I noticed you're acquisitions as well in the league notes and was definitely curious about the only 11 pot pick ups. Now I see that's your back up team. It looks like your not headed for last in your division either this year so congrats on the progress, you're just a game under .500!
amalric7

New York Lancers
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Great read! I joined not long before you, right at the start of 2026, and I was hooked from day one. I think everyone makes mistakes here, its all about learning from them, and its great to see you've suck it out - good luck going forward!

(Nice win over Eastpointe too, they have been kicking butt in my league this season.)

Nice also to read something like this when I get the impression that the big 2035 reset cost us a bunch of longtime players, which is a real shame. Just this week we lost a player who has basically been here from the start - and never made a single draft pick in that time. Would have loved to have heard that story!
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Whoa. That's bizarre. I definitely would like to hear that story.

Previous Page | Show All |