Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Getting Youngsters PAs / BFs   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Jaybrams

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I've toyed with different ideas, so curious your approach:

How do you personally get your youngsters ---who aren't exactly starter material yet, but too good for AAA--- the proper ABs and Innings each week?

ephenssta

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
It's much easier if you're not in a tight race for promotion or relegation. One way is if you've already been guaranteed a series win or loss, put in all your backups for the last game or two. It works both to give your starters a day off (especially pitchers) and to get the young guys ABs/innings.
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Righty-Lefty platoons are also an option for getting a young batter some PAs. You could take it a step further even and look at your opponent's pitchers for the day. If they have been stinking up vs. Righties, you might consider pulling your lefty veteran and sticking in your righty greenhorn for a couple games, rolling the dice. Rookie pitchers... they're more difficult to work in, especially—as has been pointed out—if you're in a tight race.
Skoormit

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
It's not too hard to get pitchers some low-leverage work by putting them in long relief with management settings to only pitch when you are losing.
Hitters are harder. I wish there were a setting for using a player as a pinch hitter only in certain game situations (like the management settings for pitchers).
Jaybrams

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Part of my prob is i can't accept that i'm destined to relegate this season :-) I'm 2-18 against the top two teams... 46-44 against everyone else. My first two series when division play resumes will determine if i'm in this thing or not.

To answer my own question, thus far what i like the most for hitters is to start my young guys and hit them late in the order (8th or 9th). Set their management settings to replace as early as 5th. They get 1-2 AB per game, and the veteran replacement is in the game for the key late innings.

Pitching has been tougher. Mostly what i've done so far is rotate my young guys between LR and SP5 and that way each gets at least 2 starts per training week. This was fine with 2 youngsters. Now i have three and i'm making a last ditch effort to avoid relegation, so i've moved them all to bullpen and am very cautious with their settings.

The benefit of ^ is that i've seen how they pitch as starts, relievers, and in high pressure situations. One of my guys was horrible as a starter, but has been very serviceable in relief, even in late close games.
wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
@Jay I’m in a very similar boat as you, but back in your old LL5 division. Starting today I’m trying a new approach for my youngster Pitchers (at least for this entire training period to see how it goes)

My young arms will be given starting pitching roles but with 75p, 5hook limitations. This lets them get some serious at bats and IP every real life day, while getting them out of the games before they can allow too much damage, and since my “quality” starters are now in long relief, there will hopefully be the ability to carry games from early innings into my bullpen (which is actually very good).

On a side note, I’m beginning to feel totally exasperated because I feel like my bullpen is great, and my starters are “passable or decent” on paper, while my offense is decent and my defense is pretty good, yet my team is a dumpster fire.

Whenever I compare other teams defense and starters, I can’t help but feel like I’m close to on par with their ratings (or better) but my teams results are awful in comparison.

Anyway that’s a side rant and not on-target with your post. Sorry bout that :)

Previous Page | Show All |