Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> How long does it take teams to get good?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
dlwarren1

Saginaw Crusaders
VI.23

Broken Bat Baseball
Started in VI with a bad old team, no worthwhile minor league and bankrupt... It took a 3 seasons to get to V, but not sure if going to stay there. Tied for relegation with 5 games to go. Now have a decent, but not consistent team, rebuilt minors and nearly 80 million to make a run at IV if I survive today and tomorrow.
dlwarren1

Saginaw Crusaders
VI.23

Broken Bat Baseball
Also the lower level you start, the more difficult the climb due to attendance income being lower at VI.
FreddyTheEye

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Started in VI with a bad old team, no worthwhile minor league and bankrupt... It took a 3 seasons to get to V, but not sure if going to stay there. Tied for relegation with 5 games to go. Now have a decent, but not consistent team, rebuilt minors and nearly 80 million

You banked 80 million in three seasons in VI??
That's amazing. I didn't think this was possible.

Also the lower level you start, the more difficult the climb due to attendance income being lower at VI.

As you climb the divisions I think you will find that this is not necessarily true.
Meyrian

Littleton Genesiz
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
I started the game by taking the worst team available (ranked 747th).
After 6 seasons of draft, more loses than wins, I finally started to incorporate my young people with high potential.

The result was not long in coming. I chained 4 seasons to more than 90 wins without promotion. 5th, my team made 108 wins.
Since then, 2 seasons in LL.V finishing 2nd and 1st. And this season, for my first time in LL.IV, I will finish 1st and know my first climb in LL.III.

From 2024 to 2038 to reach the LL.III with one of the worst franchises at my beginnings.

Updated Monday, October 1 2018 @ 7:54:09 am PDT

Updated Monday, October 1 2018 @ 7:54:25 am PDT
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
--
As you climb the divisions I think you will find that this is not necessarily true.

--
Not necessarily? I'd say its exactly the opposite: the higher you go, the more difficult it gets. There are a lot of good teams with active managers in the upper echelons, playing with stacked rosters that they've spent years (in many cases) building up. Even the teams that look weaker are tough.

At the lower levels there are some good teams, but there are plenty of average and sometimes downright poor teams. You don't necessarily need money down there - you bring in young players with potential and give them playing time, and as they develop and get better they can carry you higher. All that time you'll make money, as long as you don't blow it all on expensive veterans and managers, and ballparks that are too big for the low crowds you'll draw.

I absolutely believe that developing young players is the key to success in this game. Which is why I would never do what Meyrian did, when he dropped his previous manager (Cushman) for his current one. Its worked out, but I'd think his team would be (even) better if he hadn't made the change. I'd follow (and have followed) what the teams at the top have done - like Freddy's.

Updated Monday, October 1 2018 @ 2:06:08 pm PDT
Meyrian

Littleton Genesiz
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
That's why, maybe, I never win playoff. :)
occham

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I've been playing 10 seasons. The team I picked up was an aging veteran team who'd been skipping large chunks of the draft so there weren't any 13 pots in the minors to be seen.

I dropped from V to VI, retooled, and popped up to V again! And then started the season like 3 for 23 or something terrible like that. I realized my pitching wasn't close to being competitive so I ripped up the play book, dumped all the veterans, and basically let anyone under the age of 26 play. And kept drafting of course.

Four seasons ago I was very competitive in a 3 way race but missed out. Three seasons ago I was very competitive in a 2 way race but missed out. Two seasons ago I one the division by 30 games and promoted to V. This year, I was fortunate and appear to have promoted again- welcome to IV!

So to me, it realistically takes 3-4 seasons to turn around a bad ship.

Updated Tuesday, October 2 2018 @ 4:17:29 pm PDT
allen54chevy

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Oh Meyrian, I'm sure you'll win a game or two now that Jo is injured. 😉
poorteam

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Took over the 714th ranked team in 2024, decided to try drafting all international for about 8-10 seasons and see how that goes... Promoting to League 3 next season.

Normally it takes teams less than that to get to "good" status, but it also depends on luck with draft and waivers. Mine IMO took a bit longer than I expected, but that's okay. The challenge has been interesting.
Bridger

Muncie Flyers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I started drafting High School only in 2030 after screwing around my first couple seasons.

I have stuck with the plan since then and am hoping it finally starts to pay off over the course of the next few seasons now that the initial draft picks are starting to reach the big leagues.

Previous Page | Show All |