Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Fielding overrated at SS?   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
shikago

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
http://brokenbat.org/player/145747
This guy with 8 fielding was the SS for the super-bot team in my league. 71 double plays, only 19 errors. A better fielding % than my guy with 15 fielding: http://brokenbat.org/player/120464

Anyway, found it interesting that the penalty for below average fielding at SS over an entire season was so small.
amalric7

New York Lancers
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Those are surprisingly good numbers for a SS with that level of fielding! Even allowing for variation in presented numbers with actual scores, you'd still expect a below average fielder at SS to have 30+ errors...which he may well do in the future. One season is a small sample size, and I'd be surprised if he replicates those numbers going forward.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I think it's kind of funny Suarez's manager is a zero for fielding. Not getting any help there. :)

But ya, lower frequency events are more volatile over a given sample. Compare these two guys again at the ends of their careers.

IMO fielding is not overrated on SS.
Brewnoe

Fall River Naughty Dawgs
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Never know what you'll find when you dig for an old thread ...

I think Puete might beat The Ocho at clipboard holding
Tiger504

Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers
IV.7

Broken Bat Baseball
I think it is entirely possible that position knowledge counts for a lot. I know they are both capital SS rated but that can still allow a sizable difference. Your guy has played alot at catcher while the other guy appears to be dedicated to SS.
crackit

Anchorage Lawless
V.8

Broken Bat Baseball
It may be that he is playing half his home games in a domed / turfed stadium without the influence of wind, weather and divots whilst Green Bay play in an open roofed stadium with grass.
shikago

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Didn't expect to see this thread again! (@Brewnoe - Actually had to call Puente up this series with 2 other SS injured, and he promptly made an error in game 1)

Good thoughts about the position experience & stadium conditions. But any thoughts about the impact of managers on defense? Mine has a 16 rating, the other a literal *zero*! That's a massive disparity, and it didn't seem to matter much. (also should be noted that the other SS was only at 7 fielding for the vast majority of the season)

Updated Thursday, December 6 2018 @ 4:15:41 pm PST

Previous Page | Show All |