Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> 2038 Cup   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
If you end up losing the pennant by a couple of games, then there is a high cost.

But given you came out of the cup season in first place with a decent lead the cost looks negligible. Did you lose 2-3 games b/c of sitting? Winning the division by 6 is the same as winning the division by 9. No cost at all.

If you have been handicapping your team during the cup, you should actually play better now (in theory :) ).
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
It's odd that the owner of the best team that consistently dismisses the Cup without trying is the one who is claiming there isn't a cost to try. If you don't think there's a cost, why don't you try?

Looking past that, your argument is also misleading as it isn't looking at the right things. First of all, you can't point to one specific instance and say, "see, there's no cost." You have to look at all possibilities. Look at Legends, II and III year end standings over the last several seasons and it's obvious 2 to 4 losses make a huge difference. And you can't just look at the winner. You have to consider every placement. Having an extra 3 losses would cause many teams to be relegated, which is basically as significant as costing a title to be lost.
motko

Nauvoo The Great Horned Owl
IV.6

Broken Bat Baseball
Congratulations, Garf! well done, the competition is real!
garfscores

Battle Creek Sting
IV.7

Broken Bat Baseball
The funny thing about Barber is that people somehow still don't understand how he's good. Here's the deal:

Skills are not just on a continuum. The difference between 10 and 11 in a skill is less than the difference between 17 and 18.

The fact that he has two 18+ skills (and one 20 skill) is in his favor. These premium skills allow him to succeed. Look around Legends for pitchers with 18+ in two skills. regardless of their other skills, they succeed. In addition, he is most likely underscouted in his two 11 skills. Finally, I use him correctly. I don't overuse him and I give him rest.

There is also just an overall overachievement factor due to outside factors. He's shown that from the time he was a minor leaguer and put up low 3 ERAs that he was going to be an overachiever.

I'd take him over just about any pitcher on my roster (even those that approach 70 total pitching SI).
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Here is a good example of a guy with two skills over 18 :P

Not sure looking around Legends gives you a very good sample set. Teams are in Legends because their players are high performers. You'll see a lot more guys with high skills bombing out at lower levels.

Here is another example down in LL-5.

On the flip side, the only guy on my staff that hasn't puked all over himself facing II.1 East hitters doesn't have a single skill over 16.

Updated Friday, December 7 2018 @ 11:45:31 pm PST
Hayseed

Hood River Hawks
IV.1

Broken Bat Baseball
@garf
Skills are not just on a continuum. The difference between 10 and 11 in a skill is less than the difference between 17 and 18.

I never saw this explanation anywhere. Really is this true?
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I don't think it's accurate or true.

However, I think what he's getting at is his belief that you just can't add up the skills and get the final number of how good a pitcher/player is. I agree with that.

As he also reminded us, there's a possible 20% error rate in displayed skills. That's likely the biggest factor to these mysteries.

I live by this--believe results.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I think most folks are surprised by Barber because he is a one tool pitcher (Velocity), with low movement, high control and mediocre GB/FB. Most of the time this is a formula for HR machines. I actually think Velocity pitchers tend to do better with lower Control.

Someone how Barber just doesn't give up HRs. There are a few guys that are anomalies like that. I suspect its a combination of some of the hidden values more than 20% scouting inaccuracy. Even if its 20% off, Barber still has low movement and CoS.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I don't know what your definition of 'tool' is, but not counting 20 control as one is bizarre. Add 20% to COS and movement and they are more than adequate at 13+. The only thing that surprises me about him is that he doesn't give up many homers. That profile, including a bad GB/FB, spells gopher balls, but strangely not for him.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Control works with the other pitch skills, but is different than the other three. I don't consider Stamina a tool either. The top three skills effect how good their "stuff" is. Control is more about whether they throw balls or strikes (and maybe meatballs). Control is good for all pitchers, but guys with nothing but control can't do anything.

Previous Page | Show All |