Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Sad day for Broken Bat.   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Philliesworld

Pierre Jacobins
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Actually I'm gonna wing out a haphazard suggestion. Without completely overhauling the draft I don't know just a whole lot that would make it better. This idea does do quite a bit of changing but I'll try to keep it minimal. It also has that infusion of scouting.

Draft pools will all be kept the same. College, High school, Asian, ect...

Scrap the whole thing where players are all created at the beginning of the season. Rather (as a few other people have suggested) create the players only after the manager makes his draft pool selection.

The manager than gets a Draft board of twenty five players. A certain percentage of them pitchers and positional players.

Only the very, very basic information is shown.

Example;

Bill Jobs -where he's from, blah-blah
Age-18
throws-R Hits-L
Position-2B

Than instead of a scouting report it only says one of the following.

Will be a better player... (very goods, and goods)
Will be an above average player... (goods, and above average)
Will be a bench player... (Above average, no potential report, and Will never make it of minors)

The manager receives 25 scouting points that he can can use on the players on his draft board.

First point- Reveals potential report. Nothing else.

Second point- Reveals scouting report.

Third point- Reveals physical attributes such as speed, arm, range. (pitchers???)

Fourth point- Reveals the rest of the attributes.

Fifth point- Reveals potential.

Finally the manager makes his choice.

Anything else?

Edit; Oh and since the players would only be created when the draft pool is selected. Something would have to be implemented to degenerate the pools. Something like...

Asian posting system- lightly scouted (instead of showing how many Ayers are left)

College- somewhat scouted

High school- heavily scouted

International- depleted

Edit II; I think I'm crazy, this isn't very well thought out.

Updated Saturday, October 20 2018 @ 6:16:00 pm PDT
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Early drafters can still only choose 1 player a round. With a board that big everyone should get a selection with very good pots, pitchers, great hitters, prolific sluggers. Maybe you only do that round 1 and then go back to 10. Maybe the perfect number is 35. Maybe if you draft on Friday one week your draft doesn’t unlock until Sunday the next.

Those ideas were just off the top of my head. :) The point I was trying to make was more that (in my experience) well thought out ideas are always considered around here.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
You might not be able to escape the RNG in a game like this, but you can minimize it. Any owner skill input or increase inherently reduces RNG. There are numerous ways to do this through the draft, waivers and settings. I used to play this game super seriously, admittedly probably too much so. I had hope that skill based strategic elements would be added along the way. I've realized for a long time that isn't going to happen. When I first heard about Hardwood, it completely sealed it. It's a shame because I think Broken Bat has a lot going for it, which is why I've stayed. Its shortcomings will be why I eventually leave. We all leave eventually for some reason.

All that being said I want to be clear. I never think or expect there to be changes made. We might play the game, but it is Steve's. I'm glad he stays true to his vision even if I don't always like it...

...except for the new managers. That is a colossal fail and absolutely needs to be obliterated. :)
Seriously. For the love of everything good get rid of them.

Updated Saturday, October 20 2018 @ 6:18:28 pm PDT
FreddyTheEye

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Taking away early drafters advantage would be easy.
Just have managers select their draft pool in advance (or be awarded "any ten players").
When the draft is ready everyone's draft board is assigned at the same time and will be waiting for you to log in.

I agree with most posters here that small changes should be made but for the most part the draft is fine the way it is.

I'm in favor of larger draft boards and (without thinking much about it) probably larger draft pools as well.
In a perfect world, some way of being able to select a board by position of player may also be an improvement.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
If there is interest in draft suggestions maybe we need a thread to discuss it? Wouldn't mind picking at Phillies suggestion, but don't feel this is the right thread for it. Had a few other ideas today i'd be willing to toss out for discussion.

@ Mukilteomike - when you say new managers you mean field managers? We could probably have an ax grinding party, especially if you are interested in talking about pitcher fatigue bars. :)
BadgerBoy

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
We did a thread about 5 months ago, 70 something replies with great ideas. No need to start a new thread.

http://brokenbat.org/forum/0/5/5702

Updated Monday, October 22 2018 @ 5:49:41 am PDT
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
We have a new thread every year. I made a new one earlier this season.

http://brokenbat.org/forum/0/5/5930

Updated Monday, October 22 2018 @ 6:21:21 am PDT
Philliesworld

Pierre Jacobins
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
@Seca I'm interested in knowing what you would pick in my suggestion. It' rather crude yet, but I think it could be molded into a workable model of enough people would be interested.
motko

Nauvoo The Great Horned Owl
IV.6

Broken Bat Baseball
wtf is RNG?
wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Random Number Generator

(unless you were being silly, and I didn't realize it)

Previous Page | Show All |