Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Draft and Minors 2038   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Was a good draft for the Dinos. Got some top end talent in Meadows. Added some depth to the system (at the moment retaining 5 picks, tho there are a couple that likely won't stick). Not considering it a great draft b/c didn't address the team's biggest need - pitching.

At the start of 2037 I had 9-10 guys in AAA. Through cuts and promotions I'm down to 1 (and he got recommended this week). Thought the backlog was going to be a bigger problem to deal with.

Have some interesting position players in the minors (Meadows, Smiley, Rocha). But the state of pitching has me worried about the direction of the team. 9 arms is about the right number, but 6 of those are 12 pot guys. The one 14 pot is a low talent guy that has virtually no chance of maxing out. The two 13 pots both have high risk profiles. Staking your pitching future on 1 claim 12 pot arms sounds dicey.
nemesis

Brooklyn Dodgers
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Venom have been fortunate to enjoy draft success since 2027, the season before I took over, and we picked up a few more good prospects this season. Casey will always have issues with plate discipline, but as a lefty-swinging, base-stealing slugger who can play both middle infield positions, what's not to like? Huey gives us a future frontline starter and Allard should have value too.

We've something of a logjam in AAA. De Lucia is overdue for promotion so may try and get him up today, but its deciding who to cut at the big league level: have a couple of guys into their 30s who may have to go. Also haven't found room for Ashcraft, Almanza may have to stay down for now and Guzman must be nearly due but looks like a defensive guy only to this point. Nice problems to have I guess.
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Mixed draft in New York even though four of my ten picks are still on the roster (and two are on other teams). First round board was dreadful and the pick was a C&R who stayed cut. Second rounder Henry is another stud 2B prospect as long as his plate discipline rises. The rest are all filler - Barrett, Sanders and surprise tenth-rounder Higdon are all cuts waiting to happen.

I have a couple of vets to move on from on both sides of the ball, but given the potential cuts above I may just hang on to then and see how they do in update #0 next season. I did bring up three rookies late on this season and have a young team overall, so I have room to make options.

Most interesting problem for me is 2B. I thought Jensen (vs RHP) and Jacobs (vs LHP) were my future at the position but both sucked hard this year at the plate, so much so that I even ran Soto out there 23 times. And now Greer is up the position is crowded, and he should be the best defender of the bunch. Jensen's SS eligibility makes him a keeper and Jacobs still has room to grow (and improve), plus I can stick them in the OF if need be. Will see.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Two draftees still on the team for Haverhill, which means it was a good year for the Halflings.

#2 round pick, Daniel Larkin, provides a decent future option for SS, although I wish his Range was a bit higher. Also yet to be seen if he can actually make contact with the ball.

#7 round sleeper pick, Rueben Aviles, was a pleasant surprise. Completely untested at this point and has a LOT of developing too do, but looks like a decent risk/reward guy for the 7th round. I prefer my DH/1B guys to be lefties, but could still be a contributor if he develops. Very uncommon for a "Very Good Potential" to slip that far in the draft.

Overall minors look ok. I have a excess of 3B options cluttering A, so I'll have to keep an eye on that. Should be ok for pitchers, although I was forced to cut a couple decent prospects to make room. May end up regretting both the Trujillo and Nieto cuts in the future. Only time will tell.

Also cut Burnett, but I'm pretty sure he is a lifetime loser.

Alvarez played well for Novi, but I don't think he was ever going to cut it against II.1 East pitching,
so no regrets on that one at least :)

Somewhat regret not watching Orlando Ortega after I cut him. The future hall of Famer for Haverhill was picked up by another team for a couple of games and given a dumb nickname :( Now I'm stuck with it :(

Updated Sunday, December 16 2018 @ 5:28:13 pm PST
TPS

Dallas Dragons
IV.8

Broken Bat Baseball
I kept my top three picks this year
#1 Tommy Layne- Layne will probably play right field. He has increased his value since it looks like Layne will steals bases. There are definitely better picks out there, but I can't complain with Layne.
#2 Kenneth Wojcik- Wojcik looks like he will be playing second base for Dallas for years. He looks to be a good defender with some offensive upside to back it up.
#3 Lazaro Bauta- Bauta definitely could be better considering he only has a three pitches and high defensive stats, but nobody can complain finding a POT 14 pitcher in the third round. Bauta does look like he is a future starter after he develops throughout the minors.
The only problem I have with my minors is that I'll most likely have six position players in my minor leagues. I definitely will have to target some prospects on waivers. Hopefully, I can find a shortstop and/or catcher.

Previous Page | Show All |