Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> base stealing   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Brewnoe

Fall River Naughty Dawgs
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball

Simply put, you can't. Players essentially have a hidden base stealing skill. You can increase or decrease their attempts somewhat with their settings. Keep in mind their success rate generally changes in the opposite direction to varying degrees.

Yes, it's a fairly broken mechanic because in real life a player will attempt to steal if told. You don't have that ability here; it's mostly of the base runner's volition.

It would be an interesting change if the "will/good at stealing" hidden variable was more of a success rate factor than a "will/will not pay attention to signs" thing.

For now, the best thing to do seems to be setting draftees to ++ stealing while they're in the minors (or spring training) to see if they have it or not and adjusting your expectations accordingly.

Not it: Leo

Got it:
(my old minors surf crew) "The Flyin Hawiian"
"Barefoot"
"Kahuna"

Edit:
Just thought about those 3 guys being in a lineup with
"Zefram" Cochran and "Mario" Vitali ... holy Whitey Herzog

Updated Saturday, March 2 2019 @ 8:26:23 am PST
Brewnoe

Fall River Naughty Dawgs
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
Oh ... did i forget "Old Weird" Harold Nielson at shortstop?

l-etranger

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I challenge the general public to show me a better base stealer than my own Brandon Curley, who is currently on a four-season streak of taking 50+ bags, and took a whopping 80 in 2037.

Does he have a record?
Bridger

Muncie Flyers
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I’m sure there are other even better examples out there, but here’s one from my franchises recent past.

Lee Samuels
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Not to burst your bubble, but he's not even close to the record book. That doesn't mean he's not a great base stealer, though.

Here's the record page.

Updated Friday, March 8 2019 @ 2:30:28 pm PST
l-etranger

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Consider it burst. Those numbers get pretty ridiculous.
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
If you look at their minor league statistics, you can get a sense of how productive a base stealer they might be at the major league level.

FYI...the biggest components in the base stealing calculations are runners speed and catchers arm -- but there are a number of other factors too.

Steve
afreespirit

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I could never figure out why Hayes wouldn't steal. He was 18 speed and set to ++ always. Only 20 attempts in over 900 games, and most of those were hit and run strike outs. Only 5 or 6 were genuine attempts.
amalric7

New York Lancers
IV.2

Broken Bat Baseball
@afreespirit - Speed and settings don't matter: base stealing is like a hidden trait, players either steal bases or they don't, whether their speed is 18 or 8. No amount of change in management settings will get a guy to steal bases if he doesn't already.

As to the actual all-time stolen base records, it slightly annoys me that Jose Villa, 13th overall, is listed under Great Falls despite playing only his last (age 34) season there, and the rest of his career for my franchise!
afreespirit

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
@amalric7 I get that.

I should have added this observation to my previous post;

His minor league stats (53 attempts in 567 games) suggest he should have had more major league attempts (20 attempts in 934 games).

Previous Page | Show All |