Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> The Unluckiest Team In Broken Bat's History   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I perused Legends playoff history and found out I've destroyed the all-time record in futility and bad luck. There have been 34 different franchises to participate in Legends playoffs. Amazingly, 20 of them won their first game. They are, in order, and with their city name at the time: Moscow, Hattiesburg, Durham, Augusta, Brewer, Helena, Warner Robins, Cypress Point City, Queens, Clifton, Orlando, Birmingham, Cedar Rapids, Waterloo, Santa Monica, Seattle, Alexandria, Raleigh, Missoula and Novice.

The other 14, therefore, started with losing streaks. Six began with just one loss: Portland, Fort Wayne, Bay City, Green Bay, Pharr and Bloomington. (To be clear, all of those lost their first Legends playoff game, and then won the second.)

Five lost their first two: Las Vegas, Thunder Bay, Buffalo, Battle Creek and Kalamazoo.

Isssaquah is the only team to have lost their first three and then win the fourth to prevent the sweep.

Eden Prairie and College Station both got swept. Eden Prairie was a bot amongst all bots in the first season, 2001, and hasn't made it back. College Station won their first game of their second Series, stopping their losing streak at 4.

Then there are my Margate Magicians who got swept in both Series. We are the only team to start their Legends playoffs with more than 4 losses and we've done so in inglorious style by getting swept twice, doubling the record to 0-8.

Hopefully we will get back soon and expand our record. Uh, wait a minute. That's not exactly what I meant.

Updated Friday, March 8 2019 @ 5:08:52 am PST
FreddyTheEye

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Racking up the records.

Don't you also have the longest legends losing streak?
Did you get most losses in a season that year or no?
:-)
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I've noticed that the years my team has outperformed my expectations, it's usually a team that has a really good record in 1-run (which usually results from a strong, well-organized bullpen).

I also tend to trim my bullpen for the playoffs. Anybody I don't trust goes into a LR role or AAA. If the series is in it's last day, I'll throw a starter into a MR role just to shore things up even more.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball

Don't you also have the longest legends losing streak?

Ha! I wouldn't be surprised. The big, big difference is I was playing all developing guys then, and many out of position.

Haselrig, I would guess most owners do that with their pitching staff. You can easily use a 3-man rotation. Heck, I could probably go to a 2-man rotation since I only play 4 games. ;)
Haselrig

Novi Doubledays
III.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Did you get most losses in a season that year or no?

I won 50 one season in Legends. I went back to check if that was one of the worst win totals in Legends history. Not even close. Somebody had something like 36 wins one season. I don't think it was Mike, though.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I knew I didn't have the fewest wins. My guys were actually very good before playing the West. We were 33-24 and I think had the lead several times. About a month later we had slipped to .500. Then, while stilling giving it our all, we went 1-13. I felt the writing was on the wall and had to start preparing my young guys to take over. I guess it worked somewhat because I got back much quicker than expected. Granted, that's largely due to Chapa and Perez refusing to decline too fast. I'm afraid 2040 will look very much like 2036. Speaking of which...

I had a 29-game losing streak in 2036.
I don't know if that's a record, but it's impressive
AssumedPseudonym

Deerfield Beach Rats
V.7

Broken Bat Baseball
I won 50 one season in Legends. I went back to check if that was one of the worst win totals in Legends history. Not even close. Somebody had something like 36 wins one season. I don't think it was Mike, though.

Back in 2034, I reported on the Legends league thread that the Moscow Moose (or whatever name they actually had at the time) went 44-116 in 2003. This was surpassed in 2035 by the Santa Monica Carp’s 38-122 record.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball

Mike is lucky to have an excess of talented players which propelled him to success in Legends and the Cup.

It's plain silly to talk about a Legends team being good because they have talent. All top teams do. Regarding top talent...

Margate had 0 All League players.
Novi, the Champs, had a league leading 3 All League players.

Did that contribute to Novi winning the division and league? Of course. But they're good because they have a good owner, which is true of every Legends team.

Updated Friday, March 8 2019 @ 3:37:39 pm PST
allen54chevy

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm afraid 2040 will look very much like 2036. Speaking of which...
I had a 29-game losing streak in 2036

Mike, I don't know if I'll be much assistance but I will do everything in my power to help you match or even improve upon your 2036 losing streak. 😉
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I appreciate your willingness to help. Thank you very much!

Previous Page | Show All |