Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> Very Hot, Hot, Etc.   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Blackbeard

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
How much does the various states of Very Hot, Hot, Average, Cold and Very Cold effect hitters and especially pitchers?

It seems like a player being Very Hot to Hot increases his performance greatly and when a pitcher is Very Hot he is pretty much unbeatable while a Very Cold pitcher is better off being relegated to AAA and a less talented Very Hot pitcher will do better. As an example last season I had a relatively poor Very Hot pitcher that I inserted in to the rotation throw a no hit shutout!

It really seems like these states effect performance greatly and they don't last very long.

A pitcher thats Very Hot is un-hittable and a slugger thats Very Hot will be swatting home runs like theres no tomorrow. Then he suddenly turns Very Cold the next day and he becomes a strike out machine. Thats fine for hitters because other can take up the slack but having a Very Cold pitsher starting is a sure loss.

Thats all fine and I'm assuming that having players have those states through out the season would tend to make the league play be more balanced and the team with numerically superior stats will not win every game.

Is what I said true because it seems like thats the case. If that is true wouldn't it be better have those be a hidden value because seeing them in red and blue make a manager want to micro manage the team and constantly put Very Hot and Hot pitchers in as starters.

I started doing that and I put a pretty bad reliever in as starter, he was Very Hot and he won the game while my best starter that has good stats gets knocked out in the 1st inning.

I certainly don't expect to win every game because that would be unrealistic but knowing if the pitcher / player is very hot thus causing micro managing to go on isn't all that much fun. Wouldn't it be better to have the pitcher get roughed up a few times and then the manager could put him in the bullpen for a couple of games with the hope thatthe starter will regain some form. Also, being Hot or Cold could actually be considered form. Why does form keep changing from day to day? Shouldn't form remain for longer that a couple games or days?

just wondering because I'm tired of swapping out Very Cold starters for a poor stat reliever. It doesn't work all the time but it does most of the time. Cheers.
Dan6176

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Hot, very hot, cold and very cold are based on recent past performance and does not mean a player will stay hot. Hitters are based on there last 50 plate appearances and pitchers are based on there last 3 games. If you go to the bottom of your statistics page, you will see a icon that says latest. If you click on this, you will see the statistics used to dictate how hot or cold a player is. Also, hitters are rated by there batting AVG. and pitchers are rated based on there ERA during the last 50 PA or 3 games for pitchers. If you click AVG or ERA when in the latest page, players will be arranged from lowest to highest and you can see players hot or cold rating go in order also.
Blackbeard

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Thanks for the information.

I guess the game mechanics requires some way to limit players and teams that have numerically superior ability stats on the team. By using these constantly Hot to Cold form values based upon past performance the best numerical ability stat players on occasion can be limited and weak numerical ability players and teams can do better and have a superior performance and win a game every now and again. I think thats why my pitcher had a no hitter against a better team than mine. With out the hot to cold form control he probably wouldn't have had that one time experience.

Thats my theory and I thank you for the explanation, I wasn't aware of the result page. I guess I sometimes try to get too deep in to how things such as programming actually work. I've always been interested in programming and AI and this game is a form of AI. IMO it's a very insightful and good AI model that attempts to recreate a real world activity on a computer. Thats why BA and HW are as good as they are.

Thanks again.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I don't believe hot/cold has any impact on performance. Its just a measure of recent performance. Its possible that Steve has programmed in hot streaks, or good/bad months, which would mean hot/cold might give you some insight. But a cold streak is just as likely to be snapped as continued. If you always hold out your cold players, eventually everyone will be cold, because their stats won't improve ;)

Previous Page | Show All |