Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> FAB 2040   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
I forget who coined the acronym - would like to give them credit. For those that missed that thread FAB is short for Franchise Altering Boner. Most times due to roster crunch and being forced to cut a prospect that turns into something good.

A few candidates for the Dinos this season.

Saurez - possible elite base stealing. Has hit the cover off the ball everywhere (minors, spring). I worry that his "good" hitting may not get high enough to consistently produce in the majors. Also always nervous about 15 range middle infielders (if they lose a point suddenly they don't look very mobile).

Christman - has also hit at every level, and has shown power. Has the arm to play C tho I worried his atrocious fielding would be an issue.

Goodwin - cutting a 13 pot pitcher seems like bad karma. Had a bit of difficulty with the long ball before 2040, and then gave up 9 HRs in 24 IP in A. Could grow out of it, and has shown a complete reversal with his new team.
lostraven

Corvallis Ravens
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Funny, I was JUST looking at players I've cut within the last season or so. Last player I looked at was Mercado. I wonder if I should have been a little more patient with him. Really struggling to find some lock-down relievers right now.
Hayseed

Hood River Hawks
V.2

Broken Bat Baseball
I have a couple of candidates for 2040, but really my biggest blunder so far was in 2039, when I got talked into in dropping this guy. He was good for me down the stretch that year even before he popped to 13 POT. Now that my best pitchers are aging out, I could really use this young All Star and his sub 3.00 ERA seasons.

My FAB

I have now dropped the guy I was considering at the time before I was talked into my FAB. And the funny thing now is that I am battling 2 teams for my division this season and one of the managers was the guy who convinced me. I respected him so I quickly followed his advise, but now I must wonder if that was part of his plan. Hmmmm? ;)

Updated Wednesday, May 8 2019 @ 8:49:42 am PDT
Hayseed

Hood River Hawks
V.2

Broken Bat Baseball
@Seca
No worries on Christman (my biggest waiver grab of the season) for he isn't hitting much so far now that he is up at AA -- just .353/.404/.529/.933
Thanks.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
What was the criticism of Landers?

Will be interesting to see how Christman turns out. Didn't want to cut him. Told myself he had a few warts, but it wasn't a convincing argument.
Hayseed

Hood River Hawks
V.2

Broken Bat Baseball
I didn't have really any criticism of Landers, except maybe the fact that he had given up quite a lot of HRs in the minors and his 2 seasons in Majors. He didn't really have an out pitch I guess, but my question at the time was to either cut Coyle or Vera. Both were younger than Landers, but had some red flags. I was leaning on Coyle (who I cut this season anyways), but he had a pretty good season that year too. The manager that I really highly respected (and still do) suggested that I keep both and consider dropping Landers. I didn't trust my gut. The decision was entirely mine of course and was my FAB. In my post above I was largely just trying to tease this manager, because we are in the thick of a good race!

Updated Wednesday, May 8 2019 @ 12:04:45 pm PDT
wickersty

Deadwood Perambulators
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
So far it appears that cutting Smiley may be a boner, but I had too many 31-34 year old relievers and need to make room. Anyway, he's pitching very well for a LL2 team.

Kouki may be a boner, but I maintain that he wasn't good enough to remain in my major league bullpen.

As far as prospects, only time will tell if these cuts were boners:
3B/OF McFarland
RP Perales
OF Consuegra

Updated Wednesday, May 8 2019 @ 1:19:08 pm PDT
allen54chevy

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Estrada mostly because Waterloo picked him up... and who couldn't use a CF with 19 range hitting .400 against lefties? .400! Argg!

Hurtado though is the one I will watch. He was a roster crunch casualty but I was and am very interested to see how he turns out.
Seca

Waterloo Dinosaurs
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Estrada has been a very nice addition to the Dinos. He's never going to have a good OBA, but if he adds another point or two to hitting he may be able to generate enough contact (considering well above average defense) to hold down 8th in the order. His minor league numbers suggest sneaky power and sneaky speed.

Its not inconsequential for Waterloo that he can back up SS. Will likely give him 20 cup games at short next season to try to keep him sharp.

Previous Page | Show All |