Discussion Forum

Forum >> Discussions >> DOPE 4   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Okay. Back at it. I'll start to throw in some info regarding perspective. From 146 to 79, they are crammed together with a variance of only 10 basis points. Separation starts to come a little swifter from there with the same spread occurring over just the next 26 teams. That same pace continues through this set...

45 New Britain. Advanced all 10 cups.
44 Pflugerville. I hope you enjoy saying that as much as I do.
43 Columbus
42 Kirkland
41 Monterey. Had 2 seasons in Legends and an all-time best official ranking of 5.
40 Grand Blanc
39 Springfield
38 Raleigh
37 Jeffersonville
36 Allentown
35 Allen. 3 straight promotions to Legends. And fun that Allentown and Allen are back to back.
34 Moore
33 Thunder Bay
32 New York. Promoted every other season to rise to Legends from V.
31 Napa
JJNZ

Yakima Monster
III.3

Broken Bat Baseball
It appears that Boulder's DOPE is going to be significantly better than the current official ranking...
g10rsh

Champaign Suzumebachi
VI.2

Broken Bat Baseball
its crazy to see that champaign has had 6 owners in the last 6 seasons, when I came back I was hoping to take the over, but saw a new manager had taken over. Took a look at the team and it was surprising how even 6 seasons later I still recognized almoste everyone. Thanks for running this list MukilteoMike
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I was wrong about the poster child of DOPE 4. It's actually...

30 Cedar Rapids. Zero official prestige. In fact, they're the highest overall DOPE team to not have any official prestige in any of the DOPE editions. They were battling in II.2 for quite a while, but couldn't quite take the division. The first half of the decade they went 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd. They also have two 6 rounders in the Cup. Congrats, Cedar Rapids. Broken Bat may not send you any official love, but DOPE says you had the 30th best decade around.

29 Haverhill
28 Fort Worth
27 Harrisonburg
26 Davis. Changed levels five consecutive seasons. Cup Champs in '33.
25 Seattle. Legends Champs in '31. A weird thing about that was they finished ranked 2nd overall. Next season they finished second in the division and ranked number one overall.
24 Minneapolis
23 Laredo. Of all teams that made the list, they have the largest League to Cup ratio in DOPE.
22 Bismarck
21 Bronx

Updated Friday, June 21 2019 @ 8:26:51 pm PDT
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Another point of reference...
Looking at DOPE scores, the midway point from this list of 147 teams is the upcoming 20th ranked team. In other words, the spread from 147 to 21 is the same as 20 to 1. Most spots for the teams up to this point is affected by every single league placement and Cup advancement. Improve any team's standing any year and they move up. That isn't the case for the remaining teams. This next group of 10 basically average 1 basis point for each step higher on the DOPE ladder. For the top 10, the average is 2 basis points per spot...

20 Sioux City. 2+ Cup advances 8 seasons.
19 Des Moines. Cup crazy. Back to back Cup winners.
18 Boulder. 7 consecutive league changes from '31 to '37.
17 Bloomington
16 Manhattan. Advanced all 10 Cups. Cup champs in '36.
15 Topeka. Advanced all 10 Cups.
14 Los Angeles
13 Birmingham
12 Edmond
11 Roanoke. Advanced all 10 Cups. In my opinion, the ultra-amazing fact about Roanoke is that, since claim numbers have been published and saved on the transaction page, they have only signed 5 players that they didn't draft. Three of them were 1 claim guys. The other two were 2 claim guys. I can't even wrap my brain around this. Total respect.
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Continuing on, the next team is the one that surprised me the most...

10 Waterloo. I triple checked this. Legends every year. Never ranked below 7th overall. So what gives? Easy. Cup apathy. They are ranked 3rd in league DOPE, but 52nd in Cup play.

9 Denver. On the other side of the coin is Denver. They've advanced 6+ rounds in the Cup four times, placing them 1st for Cup DOPE.

8 Kalamazoo. Won the Cup in '37. All other advances were either 1 or 3 rounds.

7 Broomfield. Advanced in all 10 Cups. Ranked 7th in league play, 9th in Cup. The Broomfield Balance.

6 Margate

5 Santa Monica. 6+ advancements in 3 of the last 7 seasons.

Updated Sunday, June 23 2019 @ 9:42:17 pm PDT
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
Heh, Waterloo surprises me too but I guess it adds up.

And thanks once again for this Mike, arguably the best and most thought-provoking article written on here season after season.
Meyrian

Littleton Genesiz
II.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Thank you for your work, Mike. :o

Surprise for me, I'm in : 119 Littleton. :D
MukilteoMike

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Time to wrap up this edition. This is the first time the very top teams are clearly in each spot. Using a 100 point scale with the top team being that mark, #5 Santa Monica earned an 87. The top four received a 91, 94, 97 and 100. Clean and clear. Love it. Here they are...

4 Battle Creek. The Sting advanced in all 10 Cups and won it in '38. BC boasts 9 Legend seasons, including a championship in '34. From '33 to '35 their overall season ending rankings were 2nd, 1st, 2nd.

3 Alexandria. The Athletics advanced at least 2 rounds in every Cup and had back to back runs of 7 rounds. 8 Legend seasons with a championship in '32.

2 College Station. Freddy eyed an amazing Legendary run for his Athletics earlier in the decade, claiming 4 division titles and 2 championships over 6 seasons. They also won the Cup during that hot streak in '32.

1 Novi. A Legends Threepeat? That's ridiculous. 9 consecutive seasons in Legends and finished every season with an overall ranking of 9th or better. For the Cup they advanced every season, including a 6 and 7 rounder. But I have to hit you with a surprising fact about them that is a little hard to believe. They've won the last three Legend titles...and never finished a season first in the overall ranking. Bizarre.

And that does it. It's always a blast doing this. I'll probably wait three seasons for DOPE 5. Peace out!
Luizmussa

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap

Great as always, Mike!!! Really enjoy reading. Amazing work and analysis.

Congrats.

Previous Page | Show All |