League Forum

Forum >> Leagues >> IV.7   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Geech

San Luis Obispo Turtles
IV.8

Broken Bat Baseball
We've finished the first "third" of the season, with the first 50 games of division play behind us and 60 straight games of inter-division lurking ahead. I though it might be a good time to check in on the standings and see how things are going.

The numbers after each team name are respectively wins, losses, winning percentage, games back and run differential.

1 San Luis Obispo Turtles 30, 20, .600, -, +49
2 Mentor Giants 28, 22, .560, 2, +57
3 Daly City Dire Wolves 26, 24, .520, 4, -24
4 Fullerton Distortion 25, 25, .500, 5, -28
5 Federal Way Knights 21, 29, .420, 9, +15
6 Ventura Aces 20, 30, .400, 10, -69

1 Queens Park Rangers Cup 33, 17, .660, -, +53
2 Lowell Crusaders 27, 23, .540, 6, +24
3 Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers 26, 24, .520, 7, +13
4 Atlantic City Broadwalkers 22, 28, .440, 11, -23
5 Frankfort Eagles Bot 22, 28, .440, 11, -26
6 Miami Marlins 20, 30, .400, 13, -41

Over in the East, the Queens Park Rangers have built themselves an impressive lead for this point in the season. They probably have enough cushion to cool off a bit and still win the division, as long as they don't totally collapse. There's still a lot of season left, though, so the Crusaders or the Bloody Tigers could heat up and get themselves back into it.

Things are tighter in the West, and our SLO Turtles are currently in the lead. If you've read my posts for a while, you've probably detected a continuing thread of pessimism. In that case this won't surprise you, but I don't really believe in our lead. lol!

The truth is our performance so far is built upon some unlikely play from a number of players. Now, this can sometimes last all season. In 2048 we won the West division in league II.2 on the strength of career years from several key veterans. However, usually it doesn't last. Last season for example, we had a very cold stretch to open the season, a very hot stretch in inter-division play, and then a middling to cold stretch to close out the season. If the hot stretch had occurred first, 2054 might have looking just like 2055 for the first 50 games. As players regress to their true talent levels, I think we have more downside than upside. This doesn't mean we can't hang on to the lead, but I think we'll need more than two games of separation to do it.

Updated Monday, June 13 2022 @ 5:07:50 pm PDT
Geech

San Luis Obispo Turtles
IV.8

Broken Bat Baseball
We've reached the All-Star break. We're halfway through the season and halfway through inter-division play, which means it's time for an update!

The East won ID play in the first half with a comfortable 97-83 record, good for a .528 winning percentage. The top overall team was the Kalamazoo Bloody Tigers with an impressive 21-9 record. Queens Park was right behind them, however, with a 20-10 record. Nicely done, fellas! Queens Park is going to be very tough to catch in the East, but the Bloody Tigers are making a great effort. The top West team was a three way tie at exactly .500. That's right, no one in the West was better than 15-15 in ID play so far!

My Turtles were only 14-16 for a .467 winning percentage, but this was actually roughly average in the West! Mentor had the exact same record, so we really didn't give up much ground. It was kind of a rollercoaster of a first half for us, suffering a five game sweep in one series and winning a five game sweep later on. Still, we can't count on everyone remaining as pathetic as we are. If we want to have a shot at holding onto the division, we're going to have to improve our play a bit from this level.

Here are the standings:

Broken-Bat-ID-2055-1st-Half.jpg
geigerted

Queens Park Rangers
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
@Geech thanks for writing these. I suspect the East will tighten considerably down the stretch as our (Queens') pitching and record in 1-run games are both unsustainable and mean regression has to rear its ugly head at some point. We might have just enough of a cushion to hold off Kalamazoo but it'll be a damned close-run thing.
Geech

San Luis Obispo Turtles
IV.8

Broken Bat Baseball
Inter-division play has come to a close, so let's take a look at the results.

The East still had the advantage in 2nd half ID play, albeit with a much narrower margin. They won 92-88. The top 2nd half team went a blistering 22-8, for a .733 winning percentage. Pretty remarkable stuff! This amazingly hot team was none other than our own SLO Turtles. I don't know, folks, I can't explain it. This season is starting to feel like 2048, in which career years from established vets somehow coincide and carry us over the top. The second best record in the second half of inter-division was actually a tie between two teams: The Lowell Crusaders and the Fullerton Distortion, both at 18-12 and .600 pct. Nicely done! Fullerton tied with us for the most improved record compared to our first half results.

Here are the complete 2nd half results:

Broken-Bat-ID-2055-2nd-Half.jpg

Overall, then the East won 2055 inter-division play with a pretty convincing 189-171 record, good for a .525 winning percentage. The top overall team was a tie between the Queens Park Rangers (no big surprise there), and us the Turtles. We were both 36-24 for a .600 winning percentage. Congratulations to geigerted! An honorable mention goes to the Lowell Crusaders, who were third in overall inter-division play with a 35-25 record for .583.

As for us, I have no explanation. It's not what I expected. At the break we were two games in first with a comparable run differential to Mentor, and I was predicting a drop in performance. Instead our performance improved to a shocking degree, and we're now sitting on a 10 game lead. Anything that can be won over the course of 30 games can surely be lost over the proceeding 50 games, but at this point I'm feeling pretty good about our odds of hanging onto the division. *shrug*

Broken-Bat-ID-2055-Complete.jpg

Updated Friday, July 1 2022 @ 7:20:55 pm PDT
Geech

San Luis Obispo Turtles
IV.8

Broken Bat Baseball
Congratulations to geigerted and the 2055 IV.7 league champion Queens Park Rangers.

I wish we had stretched the series out a bit more if only to sell more tickets! Still, I'm delighted to be promoting for the first time in seven seasons.
geigerted

Queens Park Rangers
II.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Gratz to the Turtles on an excellent season and a hard-fought final series. Looking forward to seeing you guys in III next year!

For our part, next season will mark our first season above IV in franchise history, so the excitement is palpable here in Queens.
jreynoldson913

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm back.
mehmeteren2458

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
IV 7 CHAMPİON EAST PROVİDENCE HAHAHAHA
mehmeteren2458

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
IV 7 CHAMPİON EAST PROVİDENCE HAHAHAHA
jezzat

Rockford Rhinos
IV.5

Broken Bat Baseball
Hello again IV.7. We're back after a 3 year sojourn in League III. Not sure which way we'll go next or if we'll stick around here for a bit. Anyway good luck to everyone for the upcoming season.

Previous Page | Show All |