Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> Rivalries   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
5L1NK

Farmington Hills Cardinals
Legends

Broken Bat Baseball
Just refurbishing Haselrig's idea.

Say my team has played 5 or so seasons worth of series with the Norwalk Wildcats. If you had a counter that was aware of this, it would make it an option for a rivalry. I'd say a limit of 3 rivalries per team. Once you create the rivalry, it would then keep stats from then on(unless Steve has a way top track your performance against a team prior to starting the rivalry). the benefit of having a rivalry with a team is that it would boost attendance(ie. Yankees Vs. Redsox games sell out faster than average games). The factor of attendance boost would be dependent on the length of the rivalry, [Steve's Attendance equation*(1+xy)] with X being the standard factor for rivalry boost and Y being the variable factor determined from length of rivalry. The deterrent of changing rivalries willy nilly is that it resets the Y factor to one, even if you've had a long standing rivalry with a team before, you can't just go back. It also might be worth putting in that you can only change rivalries in the offseason kind of like your ballpark.

As for the accept or decline of rivalries. it could be a one way rivalry. Say for instance i choose my rivalry against Norwalk but Haselrig has 3 rivals that he wants to keep, maybe my team would get the attendance boost at my home games only and his is unaffected.

That's my two cents on the rivalries topic. I feel it's probably too much work for Steve to justify doing it but i think i covered a lot of bases on the idea in case it ever gets considered.
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
This would be really cool just from a visual standpoint... but more so if attendance increased a little when hosting a rival.
jreynoldson913

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
+1

Im all for this, me and Mr. B. of the Lexington Colonels have talked and right now were officially rivals, would be nice to have this
admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
What would be the purpose of the rival? Just to list them on your team page...or something more?

Thanks,

Steve
Crazy Li

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Listing them is the bare minimum... just for a flashy thing you can show to make it feel "official"

For a practical use, you can give a boost to attendance when playing your rival if that's not too hard to code... probably a set % increase to whatever sounds reasonable.

If you're worried about fairness, have every team auto-assigned a rival and then they can change it to whatever team they actually consider to be their rival during the off-season (only off-season to avoid schedule scamming)

EDIT: Oh and how about tracking history of games against that rival? Regardless of whether or not you do the attendance thing, showing your W/L against that team historically would be neat.

Updated Wednesday, February 24 2016 @ 10:48:38 am PST
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
+1 to everything Haselrig said in his posts, and Crazy Li said in the post above. I would really like this feature, and even if it can't be retroactive (as the stats and records might not exist) having it going forward would be immensely rewarding in the future.
wuggla

Colorado Springs Vultures
VI.28

Broken Bat Baseball
If its just flavor text and bragging rights then ok by me.
i guess that you can put on profile page and update it
from profile like your mascot or colors
the gizmo

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Think it is very difficult to develop long term rivalries with the league structure and promotion/ demotion with teams every season

Even going back as the Gulls have last few seasons, ended up in different leagues than we were in at Level 4 and 5 facing all new opponents

So unless teams promote together or stay stagnated in same league, will not be very interesting

admin

Administrator
Broken Bat Baseball
Good point gizmo....I think we need to think through this a bit.

Rivalries are a big part of sports, but I'm not sure how worthwhile just having an item on the team home page would be. Worth the dev effort?

However, it would be nice to have something meaningful that reflects team rivalries, I'm just not sure what.

Steve
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I think that is thinking too short term. I think the rivalries would be a nice feature for users who have been playing a long time. Yes, for players in their first few seasons it would be next to meaningless, but for players who have been playing the game 10, 15, 25+ seasons (which some will have soon) you can start to develop real rivalries with teams who consistently meet. Many of the teams in the top three league levels bounce back and forth between levels season to season, however after an in game decade you can really develop a rivalry even if you don't see each other every season. Is it more useless for the majority of players in LL V and VI, yes, but it doesn't hurt them either. I think it is worth the dev time, especially since the to do list is entirely non-critical items at this point.

Note: I should qualify that, I make the assumption that what is being suggested wouldn't take very long. If in fact it would take multiple hours to implement then I would change my answer to no.

Updated Thursday, February 25 2016 @ 8:31:55 pm PST

Previous Page | Show All |