Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> Some Ideas from a Newbie   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Alphonse9

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
The point is, the bots already do a bad job drafting. Why penalize those teams even more?

So, if you say that they do a bad job drafting, why not helping them by make them pick a POT 12 free-agent ?
dsz071

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Take this for what it's worth. I don't think anything needs to be changed with BB. I like the way it handles bot teams. I would MUCH rather come into the game with a team that has a chance at winning than come into the game like Hattrick or Hockey Arena where newbs get stuck with a team that can't compete right away and will take 4-5 seasons to be able to compete. I know most people enjoy a game more when they're somewhat successful at it. I think that changing things, making bot teams worse than they are now might prevent some people from sticking with the game. I mean pro teams don't stop drafting and such when in between owners. Look at the Arizona Coyotes when the NHL owned them. The league didn't exactly do a great job of running the team but they didn't completely stop operations either. I may have gotten a bit rambly and I apologize. Just my two cents on Broken Bat.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball

So, if you say that they do a bad job drafting, why not helping them by make them pick a POT 12 free-agent ?

How is this helping them? This is a bad idea. Everyone is trying to be nice about it. But you aren't letting it go. Your desire to make bot teams worse is not shared by the community as a whole. They are already at a disadvantage. Making the game as a whole worse just so you can notch up a couple extra victories is very selfish.
Alphonse9

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
How is this helping them?

A developed team made of POT 12 free agents is very competitive for VI or even V division.

Your desire to make bot teams worse is not shared by the community as a whole

Is not my desire to make worse bot teams, my desire is that human owners take the better draftees.

Making the game as a whole worse just so you can notch up a couple extra victories is very selfish.

Are you sure that get worse ? A POT 15 in a bot team is developed properly ? The rest of draftees around average potential make the diference ? POT 12 free-agents are worse than that ?
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball

A developed team made of POT 12 free agents is very competitive for VI or even V division.

Bot team happen at every level. A poorly managed bot team with POT 12s isn't going to do better then a poorly managed bot team with POT 13s.

Is not my desire to make worse bot teams, my desire is that human owners take the better draftees.

You can't make human teams better without making bot teams worse. If you are taking good players away from bot teams to make the human teams better, then you are making bot teams worse.

Are you sure that get worse ? A POT 15 in a bot team is developed properly ? The rest of draftees around average potential make the diference ? POT 12 free-agents are worse than that ?

Yes I am sure. Sometimes POT 15s are developed properly on bot teams. They don't regularly mess up player development. And that POT 15 is a nice shiny new toy for what ever human takes the team over in a few weeks. And yeah, if I got a new team I would definitely be happier to see a POT 15 in my minors than a POT 12.

I think one aspect that you are missing (which isn't your fault since you have only played a couple seasons so far) is that teams don't usually stay bot for very long. They get taken over by human players pretty quickly. If they have a lot of bad players on the team (e.g. the Padres), then that player is more likely to get discouraged and quit.

Stacking bot teams with bad to mediocre players doesn't help anyone. Even just one or two really good prospects can be enough to keep someone motivated to stick it out for a while. And then once they get addicted they won't be able to quit, muahahaha! We just need to get them beyond the point of self help ;)
Alphonse9

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
Bot team happen at every level. A poorly managed bot team with POT 12s isn't going to do better then a poorly managed bot team with POT 13s.

Exactly, so if the human owners take the better draftees they will not be wasted if they are poorly managed in bot teams.

You can't make human teams better without making bot teams worse. If you are taking good players away from bot teams to make the human teams better, then you are making bot teams worse.

Bot teams don't get better for one high potential if the roster is unbalanced. A whole POT 12 roster is competitive.

Sometimes POT 15s are developed properly on bot teams.

Sometimes.

Stacking bot teams with bad to mediocre players doesn't help anyone

POT 12 isn't bad or mediocre for a VI league.

... that teams don't usually stay bot for very long. They get taken over by human players pretty quickly

Then the human owner will draft if he wants when he take over. A couple of weeks, maybe a month without draft doesn't hurt. In the meantime the free-agency players are expectating !
newtman

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
The more I think about it, the more I think the guy has a point. Take Providence as an example, when Mig left the team it was loaded with top to bottom with 16s, 15s, and 14s. The bot disassembled the team and replaced them with 8s, 9s, 10s, and 11s. It would have been better off picking up those 12 free agents than with the crap it drafted and left for the current owner (who hasn't done much better in his first week, though that isn't really surprising for a new owner).

Botdale is another example, that was one heck of a team last season when it won II.1 West, however after the bot took it over it has been terrible in Legends this season. It has cut many of the players responsible for getting the team promoted (admittedly many of them are either in hard decline or are about to start it), and the only pick up so far is horrible.

Botlando won with the team Mig had assembled, proving the AI's weakness is not game management, but rather personnel management.
Carcharoth

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
But at the end of the day Rock's question is still valid: how does giving bot teams a handicap with regards to drafting help the game as a whole? Forget the individual player development and think about the overall gameplay. I think the majority of the issues that Alphonse brought up can be solved by making bot team management more effective, for example, only promoting a player when they are recommended. However, giving bot teams a further handicap will only impede these teams; this doesn't add any value other than making better picks available for active teams, at the expense of other teams.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Right. The bots pick up a LOT of bad free agents to put on a team just to save money. If the team is in financial hardship that makes sense (maybe that is why Mig quit). But otherwise, the bot shouldn't be picking up 8s and 9s. I think it would be a good idea to make the bots a little smarter about acquiring FAs, but I don't see how that would need to come at the cost of draft picks.

As far as messing up player progression goes. There are more human managers that mess up player development than bots. So that isn't a good argument. Unless you also want to take away all draft picks from every human who promotes a player too early.

POT 12 isn't bad or mediocre for a VI league.

A well built POT 12 can contribute in Legends. But a randomly chosen POT 12 is probably mediocre at best in any league. There are a lot of POT 12s who will "never be a decent hitter."

Bot teams don't get better for one high potential if the roster is unbalanced.

Again, you completely missed the point. One high POT player can be the difference between enticing a player to stay and rage quitting out of frustration. You don't seem to comprehend that bot teams are just human teams waiting to happen.

Updated Sunday, June 5 2016 @ 9:27:10 pm PDT
Alphonse9

Inactive

Broken Bat Baseball
I think it would be a good idea to make the bots a little smarter about acquiring FAs

That is a progress.

There are more human managers that mess up player development than bots.

At least they try. For example, does the bot-owners train a new position in minor leaguers ? No right ? Human-owners can mistake their criteria but at the end they try.

Unless you also want to take away all draft picks from every human who promotes a player too early

What others do or do not is not my business.

But a randomly chosen POT 12 is probably mediocre at best in any league.

Check the first quote in this message, you have the solution !

One high POT player can be the difference between enticing a player to stay and rage quitting out of frustration.

One younger not yet developed ? I don't think so. When the new owner take over the team can draft players, thats the fun part.

You don't seem to comprehend that bot teams are just human teams waiting to happen

You said in another message, and I quote it: "Teams don't usually stay bot for very long. They get taken over by human players pretty quickly".
A short time without draft doesn't hurt, they will not stay bot forever.

Previous Page | Show All |