Suggestions

Forum >> Suggestions >> Just a thought on the draft   Bookmark This Forum Thread

Post ID Date & Time Game Date Function
Jason2327

Abilene Patriots
III.2

Broken Bat Baseball
That might be a better idea rock. I just know that quite a few people have trouble getting needed talent

I am actually in a position where I would draft from a pool of position players myself. My major pitchers are mostly young and I have good talent coming up thru my minor system.

Updated Monday, June 6 2016 @ 7:23:52 pm PDT
amalric7

New York Lancers
V.4

Broken Bat Baseball
I like this idea. I've been chasing pitching help all season, and my first three draft picks this year were all pitchers (one was a scrub), but only 1 of my next 5 was because I was given almost no choice: I think I had just 2 pitchers available from the 10 options on a couple of occasions, and in all instances (including the guy I drafted in the 7th round) they were average at best. A wider pool might have given me better options.

I think I'd have drafted pitchers every round if that was an option. Last season I just went BPA, and would probably do that going forward, but it would be nice to have the option.
Jason2327

Abilene Patriots
III.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Maybe do something like a 5 and 5 split, another wards you would only be able to choose 10 pitcher pool 5 times then must choose position player pool 5 times. This would ensure that the pools would stay even and talent would still be distributed. Of course, this all depends on how everyone else feels and if Steve would be interested and if it would be too hard to implement
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
I'm not sure this is a 50/50 ratio currently. It is certainly an option, but I'd probably prefer to just let people pick what they wanted. And maybe you are only guaranteed a certain amount of that position. Forcing people to get a pool of only position players 5 out of 10 times when they really need a pitcher seems a little counter to your original idea. That would mean you only have 5 chances rather then the 10 (albeit worse) chances you have now.
Jason2327

Abilene Patriots
III.2

Broken Bat Baseball
No rock. I meant that you get 5 picks of 10 pools of pitchers and 5 pools of 10 position players. You can take the pool picks 5 weeks consecutive if you want or alternate, however you wish. But you would still get 10 draft picks each week,you only get to choose the pitcher pool 5 times of the 10 draft weeks
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Right, so you only get 5 chances to get a pitcher. That is what I was pointing out.
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
If the pitchers got drained, and the batters were less picked over, that would simply raise the value of batters. So it would be a self correcting market.

Right now batters are a little easier to come by, which is why pitchers have more value. But if a lot more pitchers were picked, that would reverse over time.
Jason2327

Abilene Patriots
III.2

Broken Bat Baseball
But you would get a better pick of pitchers by getting 10 at one shot to draft from. And I am sure there are teams who don't need pitching as badly,me for example. So those teams would be drafting from position players first
Rock777

Haverhill Halflings
III.1

Broken Bat Baseball
Yes, that is true. That's why I like this idea. It gives players more control over their team's direction.

I was just trying to point out that there are some negatives to adding in a limiting factor like only getting 5 picks from the pitcher pool. Although it is a very valid concern, I think we are all getting too concerned about this.

If most of the good pitchers were gone by round 5 because everyone was picking from that pool, then people would naturally starting picking from the fielder pools. Its the same reason the College pool doesn't get drained to 0 each year. After its been fished a bunch, people start looking in pools with greater ROI.
Jason2327

Abilene Patriots
III.2

Broken Bat Baseball
Very true rock. I see the same as you. Just an idea I came up with to throw around with everyone and see what people think

Previous Page | Show All |